Friday, August 11, 2017

(Started August 11th, 2017/ Finished March 14th, 2023) Part 1 of Utah's KJQ SLC Radio Station 80's Playlist

Hello,

KJQ was a Salt Lake radio station that played "new wave" music back in the early to mid 80's. I did some research, but couldn't find the exact years it was operating. Anyway they played so-called new wave music. Some of the most famous artists of that genre include U2, Pet Shop Boys, New Order, The Fixx, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Thompson Twins, The Human League, The Smiths and probably my favorite new wave band, R.E.M. Some of these bands are still performing today.

So why am I writing about this now in 2017. Reason #1 is I love 80's music. But more importantly reason #2, within the last few months there's been a new station in the Salt Lake radio market that plays those same songs (right now playing Men Without Hats "Safety Dance"). It's a flashback to the greatest music decade and some of the more obscure, but great, new wave hits from then.

Again this blog isn't about those famous artists, this blog is about the obscure artists and the obscure songs of this amazing era of music. Some bigger bands had some songs that were a bit obscure, so I will include some of those. I've also included some well known songs, just because I like them.

One small request for The Wave 103.1, I wish they would keep a running list of the songs they're playing. But other than that, good job. I also love Rewind 100.7, it also plays 80's music. However it leans towards the rock and pop of that decade.

I can't guarantee all these songs were played on KJQ or The Wave 103.1.

Most people remember the more timely than ever "Beds Are Burning", but who remembers 1) Midnight Oil's "The Dead Heart":


2) The Cult "Wildflower":


3) Martini Ranch "Reach":


4) OMD "(Forever) Live and Die":


5) Peter Murphy "Cuts You Up":


6) After The Fire "Der Kommissar":


7) Bow Wow Wow "I Want Candy":


8) The Call "I Still Believe (The Great Design)":


9) Echo and the Bunnymen "Bring On The Dancing Horses":


10) Jo Boxers "Just Got Lucky":


11) OXO "Whirly Girl":


12) The Smithereens "A Girl Like You":


13) China Crisis "Working With Fire and Steel":


14) Felony "The Fanatic":


15) Haysi Fantayzee "Shiny Shiny":


16) Total Coelo "I Eat Cannibals":


17) Heaven 17 "We Don't Need Another Fascist Groove Thing":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites