Friday, October 20, 2017

(Finished May 11th, 2018) themusicaddict's Preview of Huey Lewis and The News October 19th, 2017

Hello,

"Today is October 19th, 2017, let's make this a night to remember" so said Huey Lewis and so we did.

But first let's get to the opener Jamie Kent, he and his two able band mates, Rhees Williams and Dan Holmes. I didn't write down the setlist, so this is from memory. I can't guarantee the order is correct.

"Broke, Not Broken":


"Look Up":


"Safe":


"Sheila" (featuring Huey Lewis):


"All-American Mutt":


This song was one of the many highlights of the night. "Diamond":


Yes, the Britney Spears song. I like the Jamie Kent version better. "Baby, One More Time":


Jamie Kent mixed a combination of humility, humor, skill and self-deprecation for a 7 or 8 song set. With this combination, he gained many new fans. That includes myself. His percussionist and upright bass cohorts were also able musicians and provided great harmonies. Kent and his band mates are currently touring behind the near year old album "All-American Mutt". While not known very well, Jamie Kent is definitely one to keep an eye on.

After a brief break, Huey Lewis and the News took the stage with the thumping sound of a beating heart. And indeed the heart of rock and roll was still beating.... in Salt Lake. Again I didn't write down the setlist so this is from my faulty memory. He mixed in the classics and what he calls new songs- but new songs that don't seem to be available anywhere. 

He's very personable and a great front man. He still sounds great and looks much like he did years ago, a couple of months ago he turned 67. That's hard to believe with how spry he was on the stage and he still has a fantastic voice. One can tell that this band put in a lot of work to get where they are now. They are a tight ensemble and they haven't skimped on the musicians. Besides Huey, there are 8 other musicians. There are three horn players, guitarist, keyboards, drums one of the musicians does double duty and Huey is a hell of a harmonica player. I hadn't realized how much the harmonica was used in their music until last night's concert.

While watching them last night I couldn't help but thinking, how many times have they performed these songs?

Many time when I go to see a legacy (aka old) band I always worry how they'll sound. Does the singer still have his voice, can the band still play, do they still have passion and will I get my money's worth? My honest answer to all four of those questions is yes. I've included a few videos that come kinda close to capturing their music live. However times that by 10 if you catch them live. They really are fantastic and well oiled machine. I came home from that concert on a rock and roll high. I would encourage anyone who love their music to check them out, both they and Jaime Kent made it a night to remember. 

1) "The Heart of Rock and Roll":


2) "If This It":



3) "It's Alright":



4) "Her Love Is Killing Me":


5) "Remind Me Why I Love You":



This captures the charisma and sense-of-humor of Huey. 6) "While We're Young":


7) "Hip To Be Square":



Huey said: "Let's go back to the future". So we went 8) "Back In Time":



9) "I Want A New Drug":



10) "Jacob's Ladder":



11) "We're Not Here For A Long Time (We're Here For A Good Time)":



12) "Heart and Soul":


Encore:

"We know why you're here." and "If we only knew when we wrote this song and it went to #1 that we would have to play it every day for the next 30 years..." and the band rocked into 13) "The Power Of Love":



A reworked version of 14) "Do You Believe In Love":



Of course I've heard this song, but it took on a new life for me last night. Huey pulled out his harmonica and played it with a vengeance providing a solid backbone to this song. 15) "Workin' For A Living":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites