Sunday, March 11, 2018

(Finished March 11th, 2018) themusicaddict's Top 106 Greatest 80's Era Bands Sinead O'Connor Part 3 80's Era Best Songs #30-#21

Hello,

First of all let's get this out of the way, Sinead O'Connor is no longer known by that name. In 2017 she changed her name to Magda Davitt as she wanted to be "free of parental curses". Whatever that means exactly. For the terms of this blog I will continue to call her by the name she became famous under.

Sinead O'Connor was born of "parental curses" on December 8, 1966, making her 6 months older than themusicaddict. Miss O'Connor was born with one of the most incredible voices of the 80's era as well as one of the most powerful independent streaks. She courted controversy as she seemed to shy away from fame. Ironically she's known mostly for those controversial things that she did, such as ripping up a picture of the Pope. I'm pretty sure that didn't end in the result she wanted. Even fellow 80's bad girl Madonna criticized O'Connor's action.

Miss O'Connor didn't receive much attention for her first CD, 1987's "The Lion and The Cobra", which honestly seems a bit baffling now. It's full of 9 memorable songs ranging anywhere from solid to classic. Anyway Miss O'Connor broke out in a big way with her magnificent cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U", bringing Prince's spelling with her. That song powered 1990's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got". Once she sang that song, she owned the song. Prince's performance of that song going forward were tepid in comparison, even though he was the one that wrote the song.

After Miss O'Connor released 1990's "I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got" she went back to the unconventional ways. She released a CD full of covers of standards, 1992's "Am I Not Your Girl", from many years ago. Despite on it's surface it's a wacky idea, it actually worked in some ways. It has sold 1.5 million copies.

Her last "normal" CD that Miss O'Connor released was 2000's "Faith and Courage". Since her 80's heyday when she's in the public spotlight she's recognized more for her antics rather than her incredible musical talents. I never got the sense that she cared about what was "normal", she was going to blaze her own trail. All results be damned. For that I applaud her uniqueness and her fearlessness of forging her own path.

I possibly would've included the "Am I Not Your Girl" bonus track, "Almost In Your Arms" but I was unable to hear it anywhere on the Internet, something I wasn't aware was possible now.

I have 119 Sinead O'Connor songs on my iTunes.

30) "You Cause As Much Sorrow":


29) "Fly Me To The Moon":

That's the link of the only video or her version of this song on YouTube. I apologize I wasn't able to embed this video on my blog. Her version is okay, but I wish she would've done a version closer to the magnificent Frank Sinatra version.

https://youtu.be/7AfH7wCfphQ

Frank's version:



28) "Gloomy Sunday":



27) "Love Letters":



26) "My Heart Belongs To Daddy":



25) "My Special Child":



24) "Still Listening":



23) "Three Babies":



22) "Never Get Old":



21) "The Value Of Ignorance":



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Caigicungre.com.vn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Favorites