Thursday, February 29, 2024

(Finished February 29th, 2024) Part 1 of The Best Songs of 1974

Hello,

Now that we have survived to 2024, I want to go back 60 years and review the best songs for every 10 years up to today. I started with 1954, I only have one blog for that year as I know so few songs. I took a brief look at 1944 and I only knew a few songs. However not enough songs to post a blog about that year. To me the best thing that happened in 1944 was D-Day.

Each decade moving forward I know more songs from that decade. I know a lot more songs from 1964 than 1954 for instance. It will probably peak with 1984, one of the greatest years of music ever. Then 1994 I know a lot of songs, but 2004, 2014 and 2024 I know less songs each year. 

The biggest musical stars of 1974 were Bad Company, Queen, John Lennon, Wings, Gladys Knight and the Pips, Olivia Newton-John and Elton John.

1) Chicago "(I've Been) Searchin' For So Long":


2) Bad Company "Ready For Love":


3) Gordon Lightfoot "Sundown":


4) Billy Preston "Nothing From Nothing":


5) Rufus and Chaka Kahn "Tell Me Something Good":


6) Abba "Waterloo":


7) Kiss "Strutter":


1974 had two of the sappiest songs of any era, although both are classics. This one is sad, but there are a lot of memories that come with regrets. 8) Happy Chapin "Cat's In The Cradle":


Appearing with Elton John in concert. 9) John Lennon "Whatever Gets You Through The Night":


I'm reading Marlon James "A Brief History of Seven Killings". It's a fictional Jamaican reggae singer simply called The Singer. However the author isn't trying to hide that the fictional singer is none other than the great Bob Marley. I've only read about the first 60 pages but so far I would suggest it to my fellow music lovers. 10) Bob Marley and the Wailers "No Woman No Cry":


11) Bachman-Turner Overdrive "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet":


12) Queen "Killer Queen":


13) Linda Ronstadt "You're No Good":


14) Steely Dan "Rikki Don't Lose That Number":


This song is sad, but it's not as sappy as "Seasons In The Sun" and "Cat's In The Cradle". It's one of the greatest songs of all-time. What a master course in how to sing a song near perfectly. 15) Barbra Streisand "The Way We Were":


1974 had two of the sappiest songs of any era, although both are classics. This one is sad, but there are a lot of good memories. 16) Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun":


17) Paperlate "The Night Chicago Died":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites