Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Lori Majewski and Jonathan Bernstein's "Mad World": A Soundtrack

Hello,

Don't forget Saturday, April 19th is Record Store Day! themusicaddict strongly encourages you to support your local, independent record retailer.

On April 15th, 2014 the book "Mad World: An Oral History of New Wave Artists and Songs That Defined the 1980's" was released. It's written by Lori Majewski and Jonathan Bernstein. I haven't seen the book and only heard about it today. Anything from this blog is dependent on what I read at Rollingstone.com. Rolling Stone mentions 10 bands in their review. I'm going to provide a soundtrack to the book and post videos for the artists that Rolling Stone mention. I won't be spilling any of the secrets, I'm just posting songs. You can download the book to your Kindle now for $9.99 or get the paperback copy from amazon.com for $11.99. This is one of those books that I'd rather have the physical book in my collection. Without a doubt 80's music is the best and New Wave had some of that decades biggest highlights.

I'll add the video for a song if Rolling Stone mentioned it, if not I'll pick one or two songs for that artist.

1) Modern English "I Melt With You":



Although Modern English didn't go on to be a huge band, at least they gave us one of the greatest songs of all-time.

2) The Smiths are seriously one of the greatest bands of all-time! It's too bad their run was so short. Morrissey has continued making amazing music on his own though. Thank goodness.

 "Bigmouth Strikes Again":



"Panic":



3) Tears for Fears Rolling Stone mentions Graduate who had a song that was big in Spain apparently. The name of the song is "Elvis Should Play Ska". The band's name is Graduate and they're a precursor band for those who formed Tears for Fears. This shows that you can find anything on youtube. Graduate's "Elvis Should Play Ska":



"Shout":



Tears For Fears featuring Oleta Adams "Women In Chains". I'm featuring this video because Oleta sings the hell out of this song:



4) Kim Wilde "Kids In America":



5) A-ha "Take On Me": One of the most creative videos of all-time. It seems I'm not the only one that thinks that as this video has over 67 million views.



And because A-ha wasn't just a one-hit wonder, here's their theme song from "The Living Daylights", ""The Living Daylights" (Live):



6) A Flock Of Seagulls "I Ran":



"Wishing (If I Had A Photograph of You)":



7) The Thompson Twins "You Take Me Up":



And here's the extremely romantic "If You Were Here":



8) Kajagoogoo "Too Shy":



9) Devo "Whip It":



"Working In A Coal Mine":



10) Gary Numan "Cars":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites