Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Congrats to Albert Pujols For Hitting Homers # 499 and # 500, Goodbye Ty (Corbin) & Other NBA Thoughts

Hello,

I would like to congratulate one of the classiest players in MLB, Albert Pujols, for hitting his 499th and 500th career homers last night. He has joined the very elite group of players who have hit 500 homers, he's only the 26th player to hit 500 homers.

I'll admit when Pujols signed that 10 year, $240 million dollar contract with the Angels, I thought it was a bad deal. Read more about that contract here:

http://espn.go.com/losangeles/mlb/story/_/id/7428226/albert-pujols-deal-completed-los-angeles-angels-worth-240m-10-years.

I still think it's a bad deal, but I'm glad to see that Pujols seems to be returning near the level he played at for most of his career in St. Louis. His veteran status and leadership abilities make the deal a bit more palatable for the Angels. If the Angels can pay him that much money, imagine how much money they are making! (Don't get me started on the ridiculous contract for the oft injured Josh Hamilton.)

I'm glad to see that he's having a resurgent year and I hope he has many healthy, productive seasons going forward. Along with his two homers last night, he also drove in 5 RBIs. Although his batting average is only. 274 he does have 8 homers and 19 RBIs. He leads the league in homers and is tied for third in RBIs with Mark Trumbo and Jose Abreau. Also the Los Angeles Angels are 10-10 and third place in the AL West. That's better than I expected, although I don't expect them to challenge the A's or the Rangers for the AL West title.

In the coach firing that no one heard about, coming the same day as the Knicks firing Mike Woodson, the Utah Jazz have fired Tyrone Corbin. First of all let me say I'm happy for Woodson. He seems like a decent guy working in an impossible situation. Up to the hiring of Phil Jackson, the Knicks continued to be the NBA's version of the Dallas Cowboys. Anytime when your best player is Carmelo Anthony, I think you have some serious issues. Anthony and Dwight Howard are the two fakest "superstars" in the NBA. One couldn't even lead his team to the playoffs, even in the weak Eastern Conference. The other one can't even help his team protect home court in the first round of the playoffs.

I predict that the Trailblazers will win their first round series against the Rockets, I'll be cheering them on tonight when they play Heartless Howard and the other Rockets. I'll also be cheering on the Red Sox, the last place Red Sox, as they take on Evil Empire at Fenway. The Red Sox won the World Series last season powered by leading the league in scoring. The Red Sox are only 21st in the MLB in runs scored through 21 games.

Anyway back to Corbin, like Pujols he's an extremely classy person. It's always sad to see a person like that fired, but ultimately I think it was the right decision. I just don't think he's head coach material and I would be extremely surprised if he was ever a head coach again. (In fact his situation reminds me a lot of the Cowboys alleged head coach, except for Corbin isn't a robotic puppet.) I do wish Corbin the best  in the future. If he somehow ends up back with the Jazz in another capacity so much the better for the Jazz.

But let's be honest here. In a league with teams located in cities such as Miami, New York and LA, the Jazz head coaching position isn't one already proven head coaches will be fighting for. Of course some young and upcoming coach might jump at the Jazz head coach position, only to use it as a springboard for something better. Sort of what Urban Mayer did to the Utes football team. However I would like to see the Jazz go after a coach that will be here for several years and can build this young Jazz team from the ground up and stick with them throughout the process. Which is why the name I'm most intrigued by is Lionel Hollins. Hollins had a fair amount of success when he coached the Grizzlies and Memphis is small for a NBA city. Of course Hollins isn't the youngest coach in the NBA, but it seems like he would be a good fit for the Jazz.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites