Tuesday, June 17, 2014

themusicaddict's Best of The Edge's 102.1 Rdio Playlist (Part 1)

Hello,

This list is taken from a Rdio.com playlist, created by a Bryon Thur from The Edge 102.1 FM. This is a great list that has helped me discover a lot of great, recently released rock music.

Any opinions expressed are my own. Looking at The Edge 102.1's website it seems like they are a real rock music station. Who even knew those were around any more? Sadly they don't have that kind of station in Salt Lake City, that I know of at least. Even if we did have that kind of station I wouldn't listen to it. Corporate radio is full of commercials and way too much talk. When I listen to my CDs I don't hear any of either.

When picking videos I try to pick actual videos made by the band. That way you can see the members of the band and find out more about what they are about. Of course I realize the group's manager, the record company, the video's director and who knows who else has an impact on the video as well. Here's the songs that I like the most from this Rdio playlist.

Are you looking for a fairly recent band that kicks some butt? Then I would highly recommend Pop Evil. If you just wanted one CD to listen to I would suggest "Onyx" over "War of Angels".

Pop Evil's "Torn To Pieces":



Yes, Linkin Park is still releasing good music, I just don't think they'll hit quite the same heights as  "Hybrid Theory" or "Meteora" again. Those truly are two great CDs.

Linkin Park's "Guilty All The Same":



I honestly don't know much about the next couple of bands. However I like both of these songs, thus I'm glad I discovered this great Edge 102.1 Rdio playlist.

Adelita's Way "Dog On A Leash":



Theory of a Deadman's "Drown":



The always reliable Black Keys "Fever":



I'm a big fan of Redlight King, the below song is from his second CD "Irons In The Fire". While that's a perfectly good CD, it's nowhere as good as his amazing first CD, "Something For The Pain". That CD is one of the best rock CDs released over the last few years. About half of it's songs are on my iPod.

Redlight King's "Times Are Hard":



I've listened to Five Finger Death Punch a few times and haven't been real impressed. They go too far towards the screaming over singing. However I really like this take on the Animals classic "House of The Rising Sun":



Kongos "Come With Me Now":



This is one of my favorite songs on the entire Rdio 102.1 playlist.

Starset's "My Demons":



Black Stone Cherry's previous CD was "Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea", it's an amazing CD chock full of great songs. Sadly their recent release, "Magic Mountain", isn't quite as good. This is the best song on the CD.

Black Stone Cherry's "Me and Mary Jane":



There's just something about a woman who's vocals shred through a song. For instance both of the following songs:

We As Human's (featuring Lucy Sturm) "Take The Bullets Away":



This is the full "Rise" album.

Skillet's "Rise":



One of my favorite rock bands released a CD recently. One week ago Rival Sons released "Great Western Valkyrie". I hope to listen to that today, also some of The Pretty Reckless, You Me At Six and perhaps some Royal Blood.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites