Wednesday, June 18, 2014

themusicaddict's Best of The Edge's 102.1 Rdio Playlist (Part 2), The Pretty Reckless

Hello,

This list is taken from a Rdio.com playlist, created by a Bryon Thur from The Edge 102.1 FM. This is a great list that has helped me discover a lot of great, recently released rock music. All opinions are mine.

Sevendust's "Black":



Like most bands Pearl Jam will never make as good of music as their first couple of CDs. However I get the feeling that's not their goal any more. They're still making good music and are one of our best active rock bands.

Pearl Jam's "Lightning Bolt":



Of Mice and Men is one of those bands that my oldest son likes, a band that I didn't really get. However I think this is a pretty cool song.

Of Mice and Men's "Will You Still Be There":



I listened to some music from You Me At Six yesterday and I wasn't impressed. They seem like another one of those okay rock bands that doesn't break any new ground. Although I do like this song.

You Me At Six's "Room To Breathe":



The Virginmary's "King of Conflict" was released last year, so this song is a bit older than some of the other songs on this Rdio playlist. This is a band that's breaking new ground. "King of Conflict" is a great CD. Along with the below song, I also quite like "Bang Bang Bang" and a few other songs on this CD.

The Virginmary's "Just A Ride":



It took a few listens for this song to grow on me, it's not quite as catchy as "Just A Ride". Alter Bridge's "Cry of Achilles":



Framing Hanley's "Criminal":



Lacuna Coil's "Die & Rise":



Bleachers' "I Wanna Get Better":



Here's a couple of songs that are very good, but aren't really rock songs. First up Fitz and the Tantrum, I highly reccomend their recent CD "More Than Just A Dream", what a great CD. "The Walker":



An extremely catchy song and I love the Michelle Pfeiffer line. Vance Joy's "Riptide":



I've been listening to a lot of The Pretty Reckless since last night. When I initially listened to their music a couple of years ago, I wasn't very impressed. The lyrics pandered to the lowest common denominator and frankly were quite dumb. They were also needlessly overtly sexual in nature. However in listening to their 2014 CD "Going To Hell" they've matured quite a bit. I have the feeling that overt sexuality will never go away, see the cover and listen to the first few seconds of the song "Follow Me Down". However the lyrics are moving towards to more mature subjects and just not sex and relationships. I get the feeling some creepy, old music executives were telling Taylor what she needed to get to get sales. I'm glad The Pretty Reckless is seeing through this charade now. The thing that sells the most CDs is great songs. That's all you need.

"Going To Hell" has several great songs on it. I love the maturing of Taylor Momsen and her band mates. Not to mention Ms. Momsen has quite a voice. This is "Going To Hell" (I've listened to this CD at least 3 times since last night):



I also quite like their 2010 CD "Light Me Up":



The video for "Going To Hell":



Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go listen to some more of The Pretty Reckless.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites