Monday, March 9, 2015

"The Imitation Game" And Other Media

Hello,

I'll probably be flushing out this blog over the next few days, I just wanted to get some thoughts down tonight.

Movies:

1) "The Imitation Game": 10 stars This is an incredible movie in every way possible. It's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Terrific acting all across the board from everyone. Benedict Cumberbatch: just a completely immersive performance by one of our best current actors. He brings such soul, moxy and sympathy to such a great person. Keira Knightley, simply one of the most beautiful women in the world, brings a soulfulness to her performance of Joan Clarke. Again all performances in this movie were fantastic, but the last performance I'd like to highlight is Rory Kinnear as Detective Nock. We, and I believe him, wish he didn't push so hard to find out the truth behind the break in in Turing's house. (Side note about Kinnear, I recently saw him in "Black Mirror: The National Anthem", now that's one bizarre show. However Kinnear brought a great deal of empathy to a prime minister forced to make a brutal decision.)

2) "Brick Mansions": 5 stars, About what you expect it to be.

Music: Ratings between 1 to 10 stars, with 10 stars being the best.

1) Whitney Houston "I Look To You": 7.5 stars From this CD, this is one of the best songs of Miss Houston's career:


R.I.P. Whitney

2) Joe Jackson "Big World": 7.5 stars
3) Billy Joel "Live At Shea": 7.5 stars
4) Aldo Nova "Subject.... Aldo Nova" 7.5 stars
5) Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick"; 7 stars This is a bizarre CD, it has some great, great songs but it also has some real clunkers. If this CD subtracted the weaker songs and cut down to 12 songs it might be a themusicaddict Greatest CD of All-Time. Also too many uses of the f bomb, which appeals to the lowest common denominator. However great art does not that word make.

"Give It Away":


"Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magick":


"Suck My Kiss":


6) The Script "#3": 9 stars I discovered this CD quite by accident and I immediately fell in love with it. I love "Hall of Fame":


Oh yeah, I also love "If You Could See Me Know":


7) Tree63 "The Hits: Blessed Be Your Name": 8 stars This was a band I hadn't heard of until Saturday, when I was reviewing upcoming Kickstarter.com projects that might be of interest to me. Not knowing any thing about this band I listened to this CD. It's Christian rock, which I know it isn't for everyone, but it's a great mix of a rock beat and uplifting lyrics.

8) Wallflowers "Glad All Over": 6 stars Sadly the Wallflowers haven't come close to their classic "Bringing Down The Horse" since it's release.
9) War on Drugs "Lost In The Dream": 6 stars Much like the RHCP CD: there are some truly great songs, but also some clunkers.
10) Bob Marley and the Wailers "Shankin' In Boston: 7.5 stars, this CD is edited beyond belief, trying only to show the concert's highlights. But breaking it up into a selection of songs, instead a complete show hurts more than helps. Judge for yourself:


11) EarlyRise "Colors": 6 stars A young band still finding their way, but they have potential. Honestly this CD is better than I expected. A band I discovered because of supporting the making of their second CD. After two years, health issues and a lot of hard work the fruit of their labor is in the hands of their Kickstarter supporters. The CD is available to the general public on March 20th.

12) Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti" (remastered + bonus tracks, 2015 release): 8 stars Without one of the best CDs by the greatest band ever.

TV:

1) "Dig": 3 stars I watched the 90 minute premiere and fell asleep during it. I woke up in time to catch the end, however I wasn't interested enough to go back and catch what I had missed. I may or may not watch one more episode.

2) "Broadchurch" Season 2, Episode 1 Along with "Lost" and "Homeland" this show has one of the all-time best first seasons. (I think we are going to have to add "The Missing" to the list of great first seasons also.) The second season starts off a bit slow, but I still expect a great season.

Kickstarter: I strongly encourage everyone to support Tree63's new CD, they really are a great rock band. A great sound and they rock and with very positive lyrics. With only two weeks left, this CD is only about 30% funded. If you want to support either one of these two Kickstarters, this is the one that I'd ask you to support.

Also I'm plugging Dave Fitts "Mashi" (Manasaro Murikami)  Kickstarter.com project. This has already received full funding after only a few days, any more contributions would only make this project even more spectacular. I wish I could afford the $500 prize to go see the Giants play on the day they honor Murikami.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites