Sunday, March 15, 2015

The New Classics of Cat Stevens/ Yusaf Islam

Hello,

I just read an article about Cat Stevens/Yusaf Islam/ Steven Demetre Georgiou in the January 15th, 2015 Rolling Stone. He seems like a pretty reasonable dude. I like that he embraces his religion, Muslim, but doesn't sanction most of their crazier aspects i.e. ISIS. Reading that article inspired to write a blog about his greatest hits. However that article also mentioned he's made 3 CDs since returning to pop music. Thanks to Rdio, I've listened to those 3 CDs today.

Grades:

2006's "An Other Cup": C-
2009's "Roadsinger": D
2014's "Tell 'Em I'm Gone": B

As of right now I plan on my next blog being the greatest hits of Cat Stevens, meaning the best of the songs he recorded before he left the music business. His voice still sounds the same as his 70's peak. Today's blog features his New Classics.

Midday (Avoid City After Dark):


"Heaven/Where True Love Goes": (I really like this song!)


"Maybe There's A World":


"Big Boss Man":


"You Are My Sunshine": (I love this cover of this classic, however I'm not a big fan of his "Please Don't Let Me Be Understood" cover.)


"Editing Floor Blues":


"Gold Digger" (His voice sounds a bit like Tom Petty during parts of this song.):



"The Devil Came From Kansas" (Apparantally this is Procol Harum cover, but I hadn't heard the song before today):



"Tell 'Em I'm Gone":



This is his take on possibly my favorite Beatles song "The Long And Winding Road":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites