Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"Good Girl", "Easy A", NCAA Tournament: BYU-Iona

Hello,

I'm start this blog off with the hot new video by Carrie Underwood, the song is called "Good Girl". If you didn't know this already, Carrie is damn hot. She looks great in this video, her legs make a cameo at the end of the video. "Good Girl" is taken from her upcoming CD "Blown Away", which will be released on May 1st.



Another CD I'm looking forward to is Jack White's new CD, "Blunderbuss", this CD is out April 24th. This isn't my favorite Jack White song ever, but still a decent song. This is the first song off the CD, "Love Interrupted":



Shooter Jennings released his new CD, "Family Man" today. I like the retro sound of this CD. It seems Shooter Jennings is one of the advocates of the retro country sound. I really like this CD as it reminds me of 80's country music. That was the era when Alabama was at their peak. Alabama was the first band I thought of when listening to this CD. BTW that's a compliment to both.

"Family Man" is available at amazon.com for $3.99 today. That price is for the MP3 CD. I listened to it first on Spotify and I was pleasantly surprised by how good it is. I definitely suggest that you listen to it on Spotify as well.  This is one of my favorite songs on the CD, "Manifesto No. 4". I'm sorry there wasn't a better video available:



Another good song on "Family Man" is "Black Dog". This snippet is in a weird part of the song, it doesn't show the best parts of this song. This is a story song like country music of old.



Another highlight from Jennings's new CD "The Deed and The Dollar":



I watched "Easy A" last night and laughed a lot during the movie. I loved this movie, although the last 1/3rd was a bit slow. "Easy A" reminded me a lot of  "This Means War", both have a lot of unexpected humor. The humor sneaks up on you, you don't see the jokes coming a mile away. I love those kind of surprises. That's why I try to stay away from previews and reviews until I've actually seen the movie. Despite the rumors surrounding Emma Stone's character, the story is very sweet and gentle.

Stone highlights a great cast, playing some great characters. Stone looks amazing in this and I love her sexy, raspy voice. I also love Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson playing her zany parents. They have some of the best lines of this movie. Lisa Kudrow's character was a bit strange, but not in a quirky way.

I loved the reference to some of the great 80's movies and scenes from those movies. I also loved the shout out to John Hughes as well. Although to be honest I have never been a big fan of "Say Anything". That movie doesn't deserve it's reputation, in spite of the very iconic John Cusack scene in it. I loved the ending of the movie paying homage to that iconic scene from "Say Anything" and "Can't Buy Me Love". I wonder if "Can't Buy Me Love" has passed the test of time, it's been too many years since I've seen it.

There's also a lot of great music in it. The great music combined with the ode to 80's movies culminated in the Simple Minds "Don't You Forget Me".



A couple of other great songs from the "Easy A" soundtrack. I love Lenka's voice, she has one of those quirky voices I can't but help to fall in love with. This is Lenka's "Trouble Is A Friend":



This is Cary Brothers "If You Were Here". Cary Brothers is a person, not a set of brothers.



Sports: Randy Moss has signed a one year contract with the 49ers, that could turn out to be an awesome move or a move that backfires. As a 49ers fan I'm hoping that it turns out to be a good move, I hope it's not the 2012 version of the Braylon Edwards signing. As the 49ers seem to be getting better, things seem to be getting worse for the Cowboys. For moves in trying to pay as much as they could in 2010. Due to CBA discussions, 2010 was a non salary cap year. Thus the assumption was that teams could pay whatever they wanted to. However in a bit of revisionist policy making the NFL is saying that they shouldn't have done that.

Dallas seemingly has been retroactively  penalized and has had $10 million deducted from their 2012 and 2013 salary cap. They can take that hit against their salary cap in 2012 and 2013, in any split they desire. Meanwhile the Redskins are taking a $36 million hit to their 2012 and 2013 salary cap. In other words the Redskins will likely draft RG3 and have very limited resources to surround him with other good players. However let's be honest, it''s not like the Cowboys and Redskins were going to be good this season anyway. Let's see if Tony Romo can lead the Cowboys to another scintillating 8-8 record again. :)

But thank goodness the Cowboys cut Terrance "Toast" Newman today. He was one of the biggest disappointments of last season and also a huge salary cap hit.

BYU will be starting play, and may be ending play, in the 2012 NCAA Tournament tonight. They'll be playing the Gaels of Iona. That's the second game of the night. The first game of the First Four and the NCAA Tournament will be Western Kentucky-Mississippi Valley State. It seems President Obama will be at the first game. Go Cougars!

Other great videos:

This will probably be one of the Top 100 videos that I'll feature on this blog, I love this song. It's sweet, poignant and nostalgic all at the same time. It also has an amazing chorus.



One of the more bizarre and electic songs from the 80's:



An all time classic, Supertramp's "Breakfast In America":



From the criminally unappreciated CD "Liz Phair", this is "Rock Me":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites