Monday, November 25, 2013

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs of All-Time: Neneh Cherry's "Raw Like Sushi"

Hello,

Welcome to my 1800th published blog.

This blog is about Neneh Cherry's "Raw Like Sushi", one of the greatest CDs of all-time. It's one of the last great CDs of the 1980s.

"Raw Like Sushi" was released on May 2nd, 1989. I'd like to say I discovered this CD almost immediately but that wouldn't be the truth. I'm not even sure when I discovered it. As with more CDs that were a bit obscure or genres that I usually didn't listen to I discovered this through my brother's influence.

Cherry seems to be another musician who only had one great CD in her system. In 1992 she released her second CD, "Homebrew". Thanks to Spotify I was able to listen to it. "Homebrew" isn't a bad CD by any means, however it also isn't anywhere near the quality of "Raw Like Sushi". One song I really like on "Homebrew" is "Trout". When I first heard this song today, I thought to myself that sounds like Michael Stipe. Sure enough it is.



Another intriguing song from "Homebrew", "Move With Me":



In 1996 Cherry released her third and so far still last solo CD, "Man". The CD is best known for the song, "7 Seconds", which features Youssou N'Dour: According to Wikipedia "7 Seconds" was a worldwide hit, but this is the first time I've heard this song.



Also from the CD "Man" is the song "Woman":



This is a cool song from Teddybears that features Neneh Cherry, "Yours To Keep":



"Raw Like Sushi" is a classic CD although it does sound a bit dated now. "Sushi" only has two songs that would be considered "hits" in the USA. "Buffalo Stance" went to #3 and "Kisses On The Wind" rose to #8. Although this CD lacks in certified hits, it more than makes up for that in the number of great songs. The CD is definitely better than the sum of it's parts. (Thanks to WIkipedia for information for this blog.)

1) "Buffalo Stance": This CD starts off with one of the most intriguing songs in the very fertile 80s. Cherry could clearly see the coming of hip hop when she was creating this song. I'm not a big fan of most hip hop, but I'm a big fan of this amazing song:



"Buffalo Stance" (live):



2) "Manchild": Not a hit per se, but another great song on this great CD. This song deals with the challenging transition from boyhood to hopefully manhood.



3) "Kisses On The Wind":



The 6:00 Bass Dub version of "Kisses On The Wind":



4) "Inna City Mama":



"Inna City Mama" (Live allegedly, it appears she's lip synching and not very well):



5) "The Next Generation":



6) "Love Ghetto" (sadly there's no video on Youtube at this time:

7) "Heart" (a great song that hasn't received enough love):



8) "Phoney Ladies":



9) "Outre Risque Locomotive" (this is the best video available, but it's a great song):



10) "So Here I Come":



Neneh Cherry At The Big Chill in 2011:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites