Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Thompson Twins: One Of The 80's Most Fun and Creative Bands (But Why Has "Queer" Disappeared?)

Hello,

One of my favorite Thompson Twins songs is "Sugar Daddy", it's one of their only songs that I don't have on my iTunes. For some reason it's not available to buy anywhere. Are The Thompson Twins ashamed of this song? If so I can't see why, this was their last song that made at least a minimum impact before they completely fell off the map. However I think "Sugar Daddy" is up there with their classics.

"Sugar Daddy":



"Sugar Daddy" comes off the 1989 CD "Big Trash", which other than greatest hits CDs, ends up being their second to last CD. In 1991 The Thompson Twins released a CD titled "Queer", this is the first I've even heard of that CD. Sadly at this time Queer" isn't available on Spotify yet. "Queer" embraced more of a dance music vibe and many thought it would relaunch the band. Sadly that didn't happened. (Thanks to Wikipedia.)

For some reason "Queer" is on lockdown, it's not available at all at iTunes or Google Play and most of the copies are very expensive at amazon.com. The best thing for it I can find on Youtube is a preview of "Queer". From the too short preview I quite like the songs on "Queer". I hope to be able to add it to my collection some day.



A couple of individual songs from "Queer", this is "Come Inside":



"Groove On":



Other than "Into The Gap" CD the only other Thompson Twins music available seems to be "Greatest Hits" collections. Why have they and so much of their great music been swept into the dustbin of history? Maybe this blog can stir up a bit more interest, I really like the direction the Twins were going in with "Queer".

Now here are a few of my other favorite Thompson Twins songs. I love their hits as much as everyone else, but two of my favorite songs are lesser known songs/hits.

"Get That Love":



"You Take Me Up":



"King For A Day":



"Hold Me Now":



"Doctor Doctor":



"Lies" (Thanks to "Solid Gold" for having these great time capsule videos):



"In The Name of Love" (Live):



"Lay Your Hands On Me":



"Love On Your Side":



"Don't Mess With Doctor Dream":



"We Are Detective":



This is a mixture of two great things: a great song from one of the 80's best movies "Sixteen Candles". Long live the movies and influence of John Hughes! I still have a crush on Molly Ringwald. The great song is "If You Were Here":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites