Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Getting Dumber By The Day "Walking Dead"

Hello,

Honestly I use to be a big fan of the TV show "The Walking Dead". However now I only watch it as I hope it can reach it's potential again. For instance, the Season 2 finale was about as good of an episode as this show has ever had. However as the show continues to get further away from that my interest diminishes. For some reason Robert Kirkman et al. decided to tell the story of the Governor attacking the prison for a second time to start Season 4. Not only that but all the flu story lines, how boring. Those things lead to the extremely lame Season 4 "mid-season finale". This was following an extremely boring season finale at the end of Season 3. For some reason they decided to tell the same story again?The Governor should have been killed at the end of season 3, he's one of the most boring villains ever. Anybody following him is not very believable, many times I wished Michonne killed him when she had the chance.

With the about two month break before the Season 4 continued, I had got to the point where I was looking forward to what had happened. Now was there a whole lot of suspense about that, no I knew most of the characters would live.

Episode 9 "After" was one of the most boring episodes of television ever. Spending so much time with Rick and Carl was a bad idea. Andrew Lincoln, who plays Rick, is a terrible actor. It amuses me how bad his accent is and that sometimes he has an accent and sometimes that he doesn't. Chandler Riggs, who plays Carl, is also a horrible actor. Frankly his character is boring. That episode should have focused much more on Michonne, now that's a great character. Danai Gurira is a much better actor than either of the above.

For episode 10 "Inmates" I didn't even watch that when it showed, I watched it the next day. I had been so bored by the previous episode that I was in no hurry to see "Inmates". It was a slightly better episode, but the voice over from Beth (Emily Kinney) reading from her journal was misplaced. Also the fact that she wanted to go tracking at night and was willing to go without Daryl was incredibly dumb. Even worse was that someone that was a good enough idea to actually film.

Here are some of the things I've hated about the last couple of seasons.

1) The hunt for Sophie, never has so much film been wasted on such a boring story. I also laughed how  they always seemed to be safe at Hershel's farm. That was 0% believable. But of course the farm was finally attacked for the season 2 finale. However that season finale was one of the best episodes in the history of "The Walking Dead". Hershel stop talking about wanting to believe and kicking zombie butt.

2) The dialogue is horrible. Tyreese telling the little girl how "tough" she was twice in "Inmates". I hope they are going to double Chad Coleman's pay for the dreadful dialogue they gave him. Also Rick's Season 1 speeches about the choices we make was mind numbing boring. Also those speeches didn't lead anywhere. When Kirkman et. al run out of story ideas, they should work harder not fill that space with terrible dialogue.

3) Wasn't that convenient how Carol came out of nowhere to save the day when rescuing the two little girls and Judith? The two little girls are Lizzie and Mika. Mika gets scared and runs into the forest alone? Really? Will Lizzie kill Judith? If that had happened, I'd been a little homicidal as well. Am I the only one who thinks those two characters feel like dead weight?

4) Speaking of convenient I always love how convenient the zombies are. One moment Daryl and Beth are running away from them and then all of a sudden they can lay down and rest? I also love how many times a zombie has come out of nowhere to attack a human because the human wasn't more aware of their surroundings. There should be a drinking game for every time a character turns their back to a wooded area and is attacked by a zombie. Wouldn't that wariness become second nature after awhile? And I know the zombies are less than human, but I love how many times they have humans in their grasp and can't quite hold on. Main characters can escape from zombies, however lesser characters aren't quite as successful.

5) Although we've never had any indication that zombies will stop trying to eat humans to go to a fire, that's exactly what happened in this week's episode. From everything we've seen a zombie's only desire is eating humans and animals. Why would a zombie be attracted to a fire, isn't it more likely they would stay away? Couldn't the producers and writers figured out a more believable way of getting Glenn and friend to safety?

6) I can always tell when the writers don't have any ideas left, they go for extended shots on an actors face. In "Inmates" there were at least 2 or 3 of these incidences. It doesn't build suspense, it only causes boredom. Come on we don't believe that Glenn was a zombie for a second.

7) I watch this show for men vs. zombies story lines. I hate when they have two groups of people battling each other. If I want to see that I can watch almost any other show! Same thing with all the episodes about the flu. Those episodes take away from why I watch "The Walking Dead".

8) Now my biggest complaint about "The Walking Dead" has always been why don't they lure a whole bunch of zombies in a confined place and kill them? Maybe they could start a large fire and attract a bunch of zombies. That's a joke as is much as "The Walking Dead" is lately.

This show needs more of Maggie, Glenn, Daryl, Michonne and Carol. From what I remember Tyreese is a much more intriguing character in the comics. The show needs a lot less of Rick, Carl, Beth and Bob. I'm sort of neutral about Sasha, she's kind of just there. Thank goodness they got rid of such boring characters as Lori (the most annoying "TWD" character ever, Sarah Wayne Caillies is also a terrible actress), Dale, The Governor and many others.

As for "The Talking Dead", does anyone really watch that? And if so, why?

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites