Monday, February 17, 2014

Sochi Winter Olympics Mens and Womens Hockey Update: Go USA! (Updated 2/18/2014)

Hello,

First of all I have to admit I haven't been watching much of the Sochi Winter Olympics, I was waiting for Men's Hockey to start. Second of all I admit I'm not a big hockey fan. I got into hockey after the last Winter Olympics. (Damn you Sidney Crosby!) With the help of my sister-in-law I even picked a team. My sister-in-law is a hockey fan and she said that the Red Wings would be a good team to follow. I picked the Red Wings because my favorite American player played for the Red Wings, Brian Rafalski. He had a hell of an Olympics for the USA. The fact that he only played 4 years for the Red Wings is probably why he isn't on Bleacher Report's Top 25 All-Time Red Wings. (Pavel Datysuk is on that Top 25 list and will probably move up a few notches before his career is over. Datysuk scored two goals for the Russians in the thrilling USA-Russian 3-2 match.)

Although I'm not a big hockey fan but when there's hockey going on and the USA is representing their country then I'm a lot more interested. The Olympic matches are incredibly early here in Utah, but I was able to catch the shoot out portion of that USA-Russia match. That was the same match that made T.J. Oshie an American hero and earned the Americans a controversial victory.

In their three preliminary matches USA Men's Hockey outscored their opponents 15-4. Along with the USA having a good offense, they've received good goal play from the LA Kings Jonathan Quick and in a back up role the Buffalo Sabres Ryan Miller.

The USA Men's hockey team has advanced to the quarterfinals, which start Wednesday. The USA will be playing Czechoslovakia, that match will be played at Noon EST. I'll be at work at that time so I'll only be able to follow that match thanks to ESPN.com.

Meanwhile for the USA Women's Hockey Team, they've been quite dominant as well. They are 3-1, their only loss being to the very tough Canadians. The USA will play Canada in a rematch in the gold medal game. That match will be played on Thursday noon EST. I'll be able to watch that match. I've got my "USA USA USA" cheer ready to go.

The USA women advanced to the Olympic Hockey Finals today with a dominating 6-1 performance over Sweden. Megan Bozek and Brianna Decker each had a goal and two assists as the Americans out shot Sweden 70-9. Canada knocked off Switzerland 3-0, they scored all their goals in the first period.

On Tuesday morning I watched part of the Russia-Norway Men's Hockey match, I love having live sports to watch in the morning. Russia went on to win 4-0 and it's possible they could play the USA again in the elimination round. With the Russians feeling like they were screwed in the first matchup, look for an even more intense match if they play again.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites