Thursday, November 20, 2014

themusicaddict's Not Quite Greatest CDs Of All-Time (Finished December 13th, 2014)

Hello,

I took a break from themusicaddict's Greatest CDs of All-Time and I wrote this blog featuring songs from some not quite greatest CDs of all-time. (Don't worry I'll be going back to the Greatest Hits blogs soon. I wrote about Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and I'm on the fence still about XTC's "Oranges and Lemons".) I worked on this blog over several days.

These CDs, with their various degrees of closeness to greatest CDs of all-time, make me appreciate all the more those CDs that actually are the greatest CDs ever. I posted the videos of all the good songs on the below CDs. Many of these cds have 3 or 4 great songs, but the other songs aren't good enough to take the CD to the greatest CD of all-time status.

1) Robert Cray's "Strong Persuader": The Blues legend's CD was released on October 25th, 1990. It starts out with two really strong songs and the solid "I Guess I Showed Her", but after that the quality of the CD goes downhill. The fourth best song on this CD is probably "Foul Play".

1) "Smoking Gun":


2) "I Guessed I Showed Her":


3) "Right Next Door (Because of Me):


4) "Nothin' But A Woman"
5) "Still Around"
6) "More Than I Can Stand"
7) "Foul Play"
8) "I Wonder"
9) "Fantasized"
10) "New Blood"

2) David Bowie's "Let's Dance" was released April 14th, 1983. First of all, what's up with these 8 song CDs? Of course this CD has 3 great songs, 1 good song and a bunch of filler. It seems 8 songs was more than enough. As with Robert Cray's "Strong Persuader", this album is front loaded. For those that bought the actual record (ask your parents) side 2 was played once and hardly ever again.

1) "Modern Love":


2) "China Girl":


3) "Let's Dance":


4) "Without You
5) "Richochet"
6) "Criminal World"
7) "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)":


8) "Shake It"

3) The Smiths "The Queen Is Dead" was released June 16th, 1986. Honestly this one CD as an almost greatest CD of all-time breaks my heart. The Smiths have a lot of great songs, but only a few great songs on each CD. Again this is a pretty good CD, it's not quite classic. Although this is definitely the Smiths most consistent CD.

Here's the full CD if you don't believe me:


1) "The Queen Is Dead":


2) "Frankly, Mr. Shankly":


3) "I Know It's Over"
4) "Never Had No One Ever"
5) "Cemetry Gates"
6) "Bigmouth Strikes Again": I love this song, although it has been my theme song.


7) "The Boy With the Thorn in His Side":


8) "Vicar in a Tutu"
9) "There Is a Light That Never Goes Out":


10) "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"

4) John Mellencamp's "Uh Huh" was released October 7th, 1983. This CD is so close to all-time greatest, but didn't quite reach that threshold.

1) "Crumblin' Down":


2) "Pink Houses":


3) "Authority Song":


4) "Warmer Place To Sleep"
5) "Jackie O"
6) "Play Guitar":


7) "Serious Business":


8) "Lovin' Mother fo Ya"
9) "Golden Gates"
10) "Pink Houses" (acoustic)

5) Aretha Franklin's "Who's Zoomin Who" was released in July, 1985.

1) "Freeway of Love": I love the sax solo.


2) "Another Night"
3) "Sweet Bitter Love"
4) "Who's Zoomin' Who":


5) "Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves": (with the Eurythmics):


6) "Until You Say You Love Me"
7) "Ain't Nobody Ever Loved You":


8) "Push"
9) "Integrity"

6) The Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream"was released on July 27th, 1993.

1) "Cherub Rock":


2) "Quiet":


3) "Today":


4) "Hummer"
5) "Rocket"
6) "Disarm":


7) "Soma"
8) "Geek U.S.A."
9) "Mayonaise"
10) "Spaceboy"
11) "Silver"
12) "Sweet Sweet"
13) "Luna"

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites