Saturday, August 12, 2023

(Finished August 12th, 2023) Part 2 of the Second Tour Stop of the 2023 Lost 80's Live

Hello,

Today is Day the second tour stop of the Lost 80s tour, it will be held in the Sandy Amphitheatre in Sandy, Utah. Review is following.

For some reason most of the sets were shorter than on the first night of the tour. It was also an incredibly hot night. Also time to break down and set up stages may have been longer than the actual performances themselves. My suggestion for the next Lost 80's Live is to have fewer acts, have them play more songs and start a hour later. Starting later especially if it's in the middle of the summer in an outdoor venue.

Overall it was a fun experience and I was glad I did it. However, without major changes, I wouldn't need to do Lost 80s Live ever again.

Here in the Salt Lake City suburb of Sandy Musical Youth played 3 songs, as opposed to the first night of the tour when they played 4 songs. That's according to setlist.fm.

Naked Eyes now only has one member, maybe he should change the name to Naked Eye?, and a crew of backup musicians. Pete Byrne is the remaining member of the original duo. For some reason on a hot night he was wearing a coat, scarf and sunglasses that didn't fit quite right. Byrne is a bit of an odd duck. He also had way too much filler in his set, "Voices In My Head" doesn't need to be stretched out. I did love the sound from his cool guitar though. There was some drama, I couldn't tell if it was real or fake, about him playing over his allotted time? But of course he has to play "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me"! 

1) "(What) In The Name of Love":

2) "Voices In My Head":

3) "Promises Promises":

This is one of those amazing songs that I played so many times back in the day that I got sick of it. 4) (There's) Always Something There To Remind Me":

General Public, still led by Dave Wakeling after all of these years, actually had a full band. Wakeling played guitar, plus they had a drummer, saxophonist, a great bassist and back up singers. This is one band that I'd be perfectly happy if they played more songs. It's really a talented collective with a lot of great songs, they didn't even play their self-titled song.

1) "I'll Take You There":

2) "Never You Done That":

This is an all-time classic. 3) "Tenderness":

This is one of those songs that you don't realize is as good as it is until one hears it again. 4) "Save It For Later":

Deservedly so Wang Chung was the headliner. Again they should have been given more songs. I would argue a four band Lost 80's live and they all can play at least five songs. Kon Kan was a great opener, then Stacey Q followed by Dave Wakeling playing all the great English Beat and General Public songs- maybe a 10 song set? And finally Wang Chung winding out the night, singing all the songs below plus the I can't believe it wasn't a huge hit "Hypnotize Me". Also they could play "Fire In The Twilight" and a couple of deeper cut. These guys act like they still like each other and it helps their set.

1) "Let's Go":

A shout out to the recently deceased William Friedkin, they worked with him on this movie. 2) "To Live and Die In LA":

3) "Dance Hall Days":

4) A cover of The Clash classic "Should I Stay Or Should I Go (which morphs into "Should I Wang Or Should I Chung:":

which morphs into 5) "Everybody Have Fun Tonight":

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites