Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Rhapsody, "AI" news and best wishes

Hello,

Let's get to the most important thing first. My prayers and thoughts go out to three great entertainers, including two of my favorites. First Bernie Mac is in a hospital with pneumonia like symptoms. There is no clear word on this yet, but some sources saying he is on death's door. From what I have read, only those closest to him really know his true condition. I'm hoping he has at least another good 30 years in him, he is only 50. (I just went to suntimes.com, according to his publicist he is doing fine and should be out of the hospital Monday. This is why you can never trust rumors.) Also Morgan Freeman, 71, was injured in a car accident over the weekend in Mississippi. He apparantally is in serious condition. Although I did read that he was joking with the paramedics who responded to the accident. Apparantally the car he was traveling in flipped several times. (Thanks again to suntimes.com) The paramedics had to use the jaws of life to extricate him from his vehicle. Finally and thankfully she is not in danger of losing her life, but Christina Applegate is battling breast cancer. Good luck with that Christina, I understand that can be extremely difficult to deal with. (I am a guy so I have no clue, I have just heard that it can be devestating.) Good luck and my prayers to all three.

Some quick "American Idol" notes first. According to ew.com, David Cook in between tour dates, is working with super producer Rob Cavallo on his debut CD. Now if you are anything like me the name of the producer doesn't mean much unless it is Rick Rubin or Bob Rock. But just because you don't know the name, doesn't mean his input hasn't been invaluable. Also if one judges a producer by his body of work, Cavallo deserves his great reputation. One of the CD's he produced is Green Day's "American Idiot". That may end up being the best CD of this decade. So I am quite excited by their collaboration. In the ew.com article Cook is debating whether he should include his "Idol" finale "The Time of My Life". My reccomendation: David please do not include that song, it sucks. It also makes no sense if you are really trying to make a "rock" record.

Also according to ew.com, "AI" producer Nigel Lythgoe is leaving the show, all I have to say is "good riddance". He was one of the the idiots pushing for David Archuletta winning the show, rather than letting the show take its natural course.
Finally Katherine McPhee has remade the 80's new wave smash, "I Know What Boys Like". I could not remember who the original band was and had to look it up on amazon.com. Their name is the Waitresses and their version is 100% better. McPhee's version is sort of hip-hopish and a lot different than the superior original. However if you like it you can buy it for 99c at iTunes music store. (Also who is more gorgeous of the "American Idol" ladies, Carrie Underwood or Katherine McPhee?)

Other music notes: for a limited time you can buy the Katy Perry CD "One of the Boys" at the amazon.com MP3 store at a discount. Currently it is only $6.99. It is well worth the money if you are looking for new high quality music. It includes "I Kissed A Girl" and "Your So Gay". Also there was a recent feature about her in Entertainment Weekly magazine, if you are interested. She seems very grounded and mature for someone only 18 years old.

Thanks to my Rhapsody membership I have been listening to some great new music today. First of all I listened to the new Sugarland CD "Love on The Inside". To be fair I am a big Sugarland fan. This CD is fantastic so pick it up and while your at it get their first two CD's if you don't have them. Another great band is the Brazillian band that I have mentioned before, CSS. They just released their second CD "Donkey". It is great as well. Recently Paste Magazine devoted a whole article to international music and the only band that interested me was CSS. I think they are going to be a big band someday. I also listened to a band that my bro reccomended named The Giraffes, they were okay. I then listened to a band named Muse. The reason I'm listening to them is because Stephenie Meyer cites their music as an inspiration. (From what I have heard I don't understand what in the music inspires her.) She is the author of the "Twilight" series of books. (I have read the first two so far and they are fantastic.) Last but not least I am listening to Yaz who is making a bit of a comeback. Originally they were only together for two years.

Finally a definitive biography of the great band Guns N' Roses has been released. The name of the book is "Watch You Bleed". I have this book on hold at a local library. I will read it when I can get a chance and give you a review. This book isn't out until August 26th. I am excited about this book because it is written by Stephen Davis. Davis also wrote the great Led Zeppelin biography "Hammer of The Gods". In addition, he wrote a great biography of Jim Morrison and the The Doors. It is titled "Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend". Davis also wrote a biography of Bob Marley, the man has qreat taste in musicians. Those four bands are some of the most vital bands in the history of music.

One final thing as you know I am a big fan of Comcast On Demand. That can be a good or a bad thing. Last night it was a bad thing. I had the misfortune of watching "Tomcats". This had to be one of the all-time worst movies ever. It is undeniably bad and has no redeeming qualities. I have a feeling that about halfway through making the movie the actors and directors realized they were making a turd of a movie. It shows. Speaking of waste of time movies, do not watch the show "The Third Man". That movie stars Denise Richards, so I should have known. There has never been a good movie made with Denise Richards or Jessica Simpson in it. Also if a movie has one of the main actors from "Friends", chances are that it sucks. (The only exception to that rule I can think of is "Office Space".)

That's it for now, have a great week themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites