Sunday, August 10, 2008

Bernie Mac, R.I.P.

Hello,

This is unfortunate what I am writing now but my condolences go out to the family, friends and fans of the very funny Bernie Mac. He passed away yesterday in a Chicago area hospital from complications with pneumonia. Not only is he very funny in stand up but he was great in the movies he made. I absolutley loved him in "Guess Who". He also made significant contributions to the "Oceans" movies. Bernie Mac dead at the age of 50.

I also promised a review of Andre Dubus' "The Garden of Last Days". I finished reading it yesterday. The book does drag a bit near the two-thirds mark, but it recovers its momentum and the ending is fantastic. It's also very sad and poignant. I am not going to even try to describe the story to you, it's hard to explain. All I can tell you it is a great book and you should read it. It is so good I am wanting to read his earlier novel "The House of Sand and Fog".

Also I continue to read the "Twilight" series of books. I am about 3/4ths of the way through the third book "Eclipse". I am really enjoying these books. They are very entertaining and quick reads.

Upcoming: some good things. I am going to go and try to see "Tropic Thunder" this week. If that movie is half as good as it looks, it is going to be great. Also it looks like I will have the opportunity to go see Sheryl Crow and James Blunt in concert. That will be cool. Obviously there will be a concert review of that. Some of my family and I are going to go see that on August 25th.

Also I have mentioned this before but at download.com they highlight a new band every day. They then have at least 1 of their songs free you can download. Today's band they are highlighting is Calexico. I have heard of this band but that is it. There are six of their songs you can download for free, I downloaded all six. So far from what I have heard from them, they sound like a pretty good band. I have discovered a lot of good bands through download.com. It's a free and easy way to discover new music and musicians.

Songs rocking my iPod: 1) "Veronica"- Elvis Costello 2) "Prisoner"- Mariah Carey 3) "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)- Meat Loaf 4)"Where Did You Sleep Last Night?"- Nirvana Although this song is a remake of a Leadbelly classic, it is easily their best song. 5) "Just Might (Make Me Believe)- Sugarland 6) "Kiss From A Rose"- Seal 7) "Crown of Love"- Arcade Fire and 8) "Bungle In The Jungle"- Jethro Tull

That's it for now. I will be back tomorrow. I will be focusing on the music of the Donna's tomorrow. Have a great Sunday, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites