Wednesday, July 3, 2013

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs Of All-Time: The Hooters "Nervous Night"

Hello,

On April 26th, 1985 a relatively unknown band named the Hooters released their second CD "Nervous Night". Until today I'd thought that was their debut CD, it turns out that "Nervous Night" is their second CD.

This band reminds me very much of 1985 and specifically it reminds me of my time at Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho. That was the first place I lived after leaving home. Although I learned a lot at Ricks College, not very much of that learning happened in the classroom. I learned a lot about myself and the ability to live on my own. It was the first time that I did my own laundry, which is something I take for granted now. Learning how to be partially self-reliant was probably the best thing for me about Ricks College. A few months after I survived Ricks College I was able to go on a 2 year LDS mission. I'm not sure I would have completed the a mission without my time at Ricks. (Ricks College is now called Brigham Young-Idaho.)

Another thing I learned about in my first time away from home was about some great music including "Nervous Night". Whenever I hear a great song from this CD I'll likely always remember my time served at Ricks College.

Anyway on to the CD, I don't know how much impression this CD made on America. It made a big impression on me though, I've loved this CD since I first heard it. Probably the most famous song from "Nervous Night"is the jaunty "And We Danced". The haunting "Where Do The Children Go" & "Day by Day" also made minimal impressions on the Top 40. "Nervous Night" went on to sell over 2 million copies. Rolling Stone magazine also named them the best new band of 1985. They were also the first act for the part of Live Aid held in Philadelphia. Also The Hooters were nominated Best New Band In A Video at the 1986 VMAs. (Thanks to wikipedia.org.)

Here are the amazing and excellent 10 songs from "Nervous Night", starting with the jaunty "And We Danced":



"Day By Day":



I can't believe I haven't heard this song in all of the Zombie movies and television shows that are on today. It seems a show like "Warm Bodies" would have found an appropriate use for "All You Zombies":



One of my favorite songs from this CD is "Don't Take My Car Out Tonight":



"Nervous Night":



"Hanging On A Heartbeat":



"Where Do The Children Go" (featuring Patty Smyth):



Although I had completely forgotten this song, listening to it again reminds me that there's no bad songs on "Nervous Night". I'd say that's a prerequisite to be a classic CD. This is "South Ferry Road":



"She Comes In Colors":



"Blood From A Stone":



As with the Knack, who had the amazing "Get The Knack", once the influence of their CD wore off, The Hooters started to fade. The Hooters followed "Nervous Night" with the I can barely remember it "One Way Home". I can honestly say that not one title of the songs on that CD rings a bell. Here's the complete "One Way Home":



I'm listening to "One Way Home" now on Spotify and I'm not impressed. The song that stands out the most is "Satellite". The rest of the songs sound like a band that only had one great album in them. And there's nothing wrong with that, that's one great album is more than 99.9% of all people have in them.

"Satellite":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites