Thursday, July 18, 2013

What I'm Not Writing About July 18th, 2013: "Catfish" Success, Missing Baseball, Greatest CD's Of All-Time

Hello,

Sports:

- I'm hating the 4 day MLB All-Star break. I'm so glad that I'll be able to go back to following baseball scores on ESPN.com and watching highlights of everything going on in baseball that night on MLBN. I'm looking for big second half seasons for the Dodgers and Matt Kemp. I hope Kemp is fully healthy this time, he's been on the DL way too much the last two seasons.

- With no games going on, the focus for MLB becomes the ongoing Biogenesis PED's scandal, it seems any suspensions likely won't go into effect until next season. I'm fairly certain that MLB doesn't ever want the PED scandal to be their top story.

- The Yankees are saying they hope Alex Rodriguez comes back next week, yeah right. More likely they are hoping he'll be suspended for 100 games next season, which will save them about $15 million.

- 49 days until the NFL season starts and like most hot blooded American men I'm waiting anxiously. I'm not sure how the Cowboys will collapse this year, I just know they will. Jerry Jones has ruined his own team and made a mockery of the term "America's Team".

- But no thanks to Jerruh, unless it was behind the scenes, the right thing finally happened with Josh Brent today. Brent "retired" from the NFL so that he could focus on his personal issues. The Cowboys refused to do the common sense thing with Brent, of course common sense isn't used much at Valley Ranch.

- My allegiances continue to shift to the 49ers, a team that is opposite of the Cowboys in nearly every way. That includes the most important ways, the 49ers actually can win big games. Also they don't have a crazy man ruining their team.

- My third team is the Tampa Bay Bucs, I'm looking for them to have a better season than last year. This is a make or break season for Josh Freeman, I hope he makes it and leads the Bucs to the playoffs.

-In the NBA I completely agree with Mark Cuban when he says that the Mavericks are better off without Dwight Howard. They ended up getting multiple players plus they don't have to suffer through the drama of Howard. This deal will continue to look better to Cuban and Mavs fans as the years go by. I wish Cuban could also own the Cowboys, Cuban seems to have some common sense.

TV:

I've watched "Catfish" the TV show since it began and I've always been amazed by how gullible some people are. Also why won't they let themselves see truth in spite of overwhelming proof? I thought we had another such case on Season Two's fourth episode: "Lauren and Derek". After waiting for 8 years, getting engaged and having a baby Lauren finally got to meet Derek. For Lauren's sake thank goodness Derek is who he says he is. However Derek displayed many of the signs of a dating catfish, like an unwillingness to talk via webcam and a refusal to meet. Those two things are usually almost certain signs that someone is being catfished.

Although it seems Derek has very little to hide I wonder why did he wait so long without meeting Lauren. Also why didn't he invest in a web cam? He invested in a birdbath rather than a webcam?

Derek should be damn happy that Lauren waited that long for him and perhaps waiting 8 years actually worked out for this couple. If someone that gorgeous and vivacious wanted to meet me, I wouldn't make them wait 8 days, let alone 8 years. Best wishes to Derek, Lauren and Mason, I hope things turn out amazing for all of you. And Derek remember if they don't Lauren's Dad is former military.

Also just a word to anyone who would try and catfish someone. If a person won't accept you for who you are then just move on. Why lie about about who you are and what you look like. No worthwhile relationship will be built on a solid foundation that begins with lies. My experience is that complete honesty is the only way to go. Sometimes you may have a small consequence, but that's so much better than remembering lies.

Music:

Some thoughts on my continuing series of the Greatest CDs Of All-Time. I've loved researching this topic and listening to a lot of great music once again.

Today I listened to the first 2 Everlast CDs to determine whether they are classics. "Whitey Ford Sings The Blue" is definitely not a classic, although it does have the classic song "Ends". As for the song "What It's Like", I'm still sick of that song because of how many times it was played when it was first released.

Next I listened to Everlast's "White Trash Beautiful", easily the best of the two CDs. Is it an all-time classic, I'm not sure still. But if it isn't it's very close, it's just a great CD. The CD has such classic songs as "White Trash Beautiful", "Ticking Away", "Pain" and "Sleepin' Alone". Although I would be happier if I didn't have to hear the F bomb.

Next I listened to Arctic Monkeys "Whatever People Say That I Am, That's What I'm Not". At this point I'm not convinced that it's a classic CD, in spite of it being anchored by one of the greatest songs ever. Of course that would be the amazing "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor":



Now I'm listening to a CD that many people probably haven't even heard of and it was only a fluke that I discovered it. It's the Mark Knopfler, of Dire Straits, CD "Sailing To Philadelphia. What a great CD, the perfect CD for a mellow day. It's definitely much better than the iconic Dire Straits CD "Money For Nothing", which only has 3 great songs. And you'll know whether I consider "Sailing To Philadelphia" a classic if I feature it in an upcoming Greatest CDs Of All-Time blog.

I love me some Motley Crue and they certainly have a lot of great songs. Although I don't know if they ever made a classic CD. Although I have to admit should I be embarrassed for loving the Crue as much now as I did when I was a teenager. The "Theatre of Pain" is still one of the best concerts I've ever been to.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites