Thursday, July 4, 2013

Things I'm Not Writing About: NBA Free Agency: Jefferson, Smith & Howard + "The Killing" and Spotify (Updated July 5th, 2013)

Hello,

Things I'm most definitely not writing about today include NBA free agency. Dwight Howard, drama queen extraordinare, continues to dither about what team he's going to sign with. Meanwhile I hope I'm in the majority of people that could care less what team he decides to destroy. Which team will he ruin with his selfish, whiny and lazy personality? I have to laugh when he says all he wants is a title. If that's true then he should probably stay in LA. LA would have him, Kobe Bryant and could sign 2 max contract players in 2014.

If he really wants a title then right this minute he needs to go to the local gym and start shooting 500 free throws a game. He needs to raise his free throw shooting percentage high enough so that people can no longer Hack-A-Howard. It would be good for one of the highest paid players in the NBA to not be a liability at the end of games. What does it say about Howard that they have a name for how to exploit his biggest weakness?

Again if Howard really wants a title, I would suggest that Howard not take a max contract. He should actually take less, $10 million a year should take care of all of his needs. Howard taking less would give the Lakers more cap room to work with, giving them the ability to sign a better supporting cast to surround him and Kobe.

However I know that Howard's #1 goal isn't a championship, although of course he'd be glad to win one. Well just as long as he doesn't have to work too hard to get it. Howard's #1 priority isn't winning a championship, it's getting all the attention he can get. He's loving being in the spotlight now.

Howard says he'll announce who he's going to play for by Friday. I don't believe him, one thing about Howard is that he craves attention. Nope I'm pretty sure he's going to stretch this decision out as long as possible. And what is the guarantee that he actually sticks with a decision once he makes it. How long after he signs with a team until he becomes unhappy? I'm so glad my Jazz aren't in the Howard sweepstakes.

On Friday, July 5th, today is the day that Dwight Howard is suppose to announce where he's going to play. It was reported earlier today that he was going to tweet where he'll be playing the next 4 years. But then a half-hour later someone tweeted that he wouldn't be announcing on Twitter today. I'm sorry but if you are waiting around to hear where Howard is going to play, you really need to get a life.

Howard loves to jerk people around, he's been doing it for 3 years now. This is the time that he can take the best advantage of that. ESPN reports that the Warriors are going to sign Andre Iguodala which seems to indicate that they are taking themselves out of the Howard sweepstakes. I love that move, don't let Howard have the power. This is a good sign that the Warriors won't "win" the Howard sweepstakes. That's good news for them.

Again my team is the Utah Jazz and the news has come that former Jazzman Al Jefferson is going to sign with the Charlotte Bobcats. For some crazy reason the Bobcats agreed to pay him an average of $13.6 million a year for the next 3 years. Don't get me wrong but Jefferson is a perfectly good offensive player, but he's essentially a one dimensional player. Everything that I've heard about him is that he's a good guy, but that he's not a leader. Leadership is what the Bobcats need desperately. ESPN's Mark Stein reported this story and he said that Jefferson is Michael Jordan's biggest free agency signing since he's been running the team. I don't think you need to hear any more to realize why the Bobcats are so bad. I think Jordan is the Jerry Jones of the NBA.

The Knicks are going to resign J.R. Smith for 4 more years. Smith is a tenacious player but he also hasn't met a shot that he doesn't love. How many times did he kill the Knicks with his poor shooting in the playoffs? I love that signing as that will keep the Knicks spinning their wheels and they'll remain mediocre. The Knicks making it to the second round of the playoffs last season seems to be their peak. The Knicks will go back to being an after thought in the Eastern Conference. Hmm, maybe James Dolan is the Jerry Jones of the NBA.

TV:

I've seen all 6 episodes of season 3 of "The Killing", which is all the episodes they've shown. I hated the first two seasons of this show, but started watching season 3 because of good reviews. The show lived up to the good reviews at least initially. However "The Killing" is slipping back into some of it's weaknesses of the first two seasons. I'm tired of how relentlessly dark this show is, someone needs to turn on a few lights. Also the sixth episode has too much filler, which was one of the biggest downfalls of the first two seasons. I thought "The Killing" had resolved that by cutting from 13 to 12 episodes for season 3. It seems they should have cut at least one more episode.

Although "Falling Skies" was recently renewed for a 4th season, I don't know if I'm going to be able to get through the third season. There are starting to be too many aliens. And the show just seems to now lack that whatever it was that made the first two seasons so enjoyable. I haven't even watched the last 2 episodes of this show. I may or may not going forward.

Music:

Once again I want to say thanks to Spotify. I love hearing about a great band or song and almost being able to instantly go to Spotify to listen to the band or song. As I don't make a whole lot of money, I'm also glad it's free. Spotify saves me money by saving me from buying music that didn't turn out to be very good. For instance, I love Charlie XCX's song "What I Like". However after listening to a few songs on her CD, "True Romance" all the songs started running together. I had enough of that after about 5 or 6 songs.

In the February, 2013 Classic Rock magazine they previewed a lot of good bands who have new music coming out in 2013. They previewed such great bands as Pearl Jam, Foxy Shazam, The Scorpions, Black Stone Cherry, The Temperance Movement, Virginmarys, Tame Impala and Heaven's Basement.

In that issue of Classic Rock I read great things about the band Tame Impala. I listened to them on Spotify, listening to a few songs off of their most recent CD "Lonerism". A few songs was enough for me. The Tame in their band names seems to refer to the type of rock music they play. I became bored of their music quickly.

I'm a long time fan of The Scorpions and Pearl Jam. I've fallen in love with Black Stone Cherry and Foxy Shazam in the last couple of years. In 2013 I discovered The Virginmarys and I'm a huge fan of their CD "King of Conflict". They are a great band and I really love their sound.

Because of Spotify I do find pleasant surprises as well. I'd never heard of The Temperance Movement or Heaven's Basement until reading about them in this magazine. But now I love Heaven's Basement. They play true rock and roll and they kick some serious butt. They're one of the pleasant musical surprises of 2013 for me. The Virginmarys, Rival Sons and Heaven's Basement are probably my 3 favorite bands I've discoverd in 2013.

Another band I enjoyed is the Temperance Movement. Although they only have a 5 song available on Spotify now I enjoyed it. Thanks to my brother he suggested the band Adrenaline Mob, I quite like most of their stuff. I love their take on Duran Duran's "Come Undone". They've released a selection of good covers and original music.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites