Friday, March 28, 2014

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs Of All-Time: R.E.M. "Green"

Hello,

R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands, yet I've never written a Greatest CDs of All-Time blog about any of their CDs. Preparing for this blog, I listened to a lot of R.E.M.'s music. I my opinion they have 3 classic or near classic CD's, those 3 CDs being "Green", "Monster" and "Document". Sadly no one has made a Youtube video for the entirety of any of those 3 CDs.

"Green" was released on voting day November 8th, 1988. It wasn't a coincidence the CD was released on that day, R.E.M. weren't fans of George H.W. Bush. Too bad for the Democrats the best candidate they could offer was Michael Dukakis. (I still remember the unintentionally hilarious Snoopy picture).

At the time the band was made up of Michael Stipe, Peter Buck, Mike Mills and Bill Berry. Berry later left the band, in 2011 the remaining members of the band announced that they were breaking up. Thus ended the career of one of the most influential bands of my generation.

To contrast and compare, this is Stereogum's Top 5 "R.E.M." CDs: (If you would like to see how they rank all 16 R.E.M. CDs, go to their page at stereogum.com.)

12) "Monster"
9) "Green"
5) "Life's Rich Pageant"
4) "Murmur"
3) "Automatic For The People"
2) "Reckoning"
1) "Document"

1) "Pop Song 89":



2) "Get Up":



"Get Up" (Live):



3) "You Are The Everything":



4) "Stand":



"Stand" (Live):



5) "World Leader Pretend": (A sign of a classic CD is when the lesser known songs are also very good.)



"World Leader Pretend" (Live):



6) "The Wrong Child":



7) "Orange Crush": (My favorite song on the CD and one of my favorite R.E.M. songs.)



"Orange Crush" (Live):



8) "Turn You Inside-Out": (Another great, lesser known song from this CD.):



"Turn You Inside-Out" (Live):



9) "Hairshirt":



10) "I Remember California":



"I Remember California" (Live):



11) Untitled:



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites