Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Stretching Myself: Is The Clash's "London Calling" One of the Greatest CDs of All-Time?

Hello,

I was thinking about writing another one of my greatest CDs of all-time blogs. I pulled out my notepad where I've written a list of all the CDs I want to write about. However none of the CDs on my list excited me enough to write about today. I decided to try something different and Googled 100 Greatest CDs of All-Time. A few different Top 100 lists popped up. Since I have more of a pop sensibility I went with the EW.com list over a couple of other lists. The first thing I thought is they have Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral" listed, but they don't have "Pretty Hate Machine"? What? The next thing I thought was the Beatles "Revolver" is the #1 greatest CD of all-time? What? I'm sorry but the Beatles have never done much for me.

I was glad to see that I've written already about many of the CDs on EW.com's list. And I would have certainly written about their #2 CD of all-time, "Purple Rain", but Prince doesn't allow his videos on youtube. You just can't write a blog about a great CD without at least some videos for the songs.

Anyway looking at that list I saw at #5 The Clash's "London Calling". Looking at the track list I recognized a couple of songs right off, but not many of the titles sound familiar to me. I decided to stretch myself today and listen to the CD and see if I agree that it's indeed a classic CD.

After listening to this CD 1 1/2 times I would have to disagree with it being a classic. Although it does have a couple of classic songs on it. Sometimes it has taken me several years to think a CD deserves the status of a classic, maybe that will happen with this CD.

Here's the full CD:

)

Here's my 3 favorite songs plus one from "London Calling". First up the title track:

)

"Train In Vain (Stand By Me)":

)

"Train In Vain (Stand By Me)" (Live):

)

"Rudie Can't Fail":

)

And because I worked in grocery stores for 20 years, although I was never "Lost In The Supermarket":

)

themusicaddict


No comments:

Favorites