Thursday, June 12, 2008

5th place "AI" finishers, CD reviews

Hello,

I am in the process of making my Top 50 music artists list. I have come up with about 100 artists so far and I am adding more all the time. Here are a few artists that will not be on the list: Beattles, Nirvana (the most overrated band of all-time), Radiohead or Bob Dylan. I have never been big fans of these artists. Although I will be eternally grateful to Dylan for writing "Knockin' On Heaven's Door". Guns 'N' Roses turned it into one of the greatest covers of all-time. Also this song use to be a highlight of their live shows.

For this blog I have listened to and reviewed 5 CD's so far for this blog. Here they are in order of quality: 1) "Accelerate" R.E.M. Out of all the CD's this is the only I would reccomend to buy out of all of them. 2) "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings"- Counting Crows 3) "Spirit"-Leona Lewis This reveiw is coming Saturday. 4) "Rockferry"- Duffy and 5) "The Slip"- Nine Inch Nails.

Here is the review of Duffy's "Rockferry". Unfortunately this is a very lame CD. It is not worthy of you listening to even for free. Duffy is full of emotional anguish specifically about her lack of love life. The CD starts off with "Rockferry", it is a slow, mellow song. This song is actually one of the best songs on the CD. The lyrics are hard to understand, based on the other lyrics that is a good thing probably. The CD goes from one lame song to another lame song. The second song is "Warwick Avenue". The theme of this CD is in the following three lyrics from this song. 1) "I'm leaving you for the last time baby." 2) "I've showed you the answers, now here's the door". 3) "You don't love me, I want to be free." The third song is "Serious" in which Duffy sings, "I'm an accessory". She also sings that she is "a joke at my expense in front of your friends all the time." Then we have the fourth straight mellow song in a row, as well as one of the weaker songs on a weak CD. It is "Sleeping Stone". I like the sentiment of the song though. It seems it took awhile for Duffy to come to the point where she could stop people from stepping on her. She tells her man to "take it all or leave me alone". Then the fifth song is another dreary, mellow, boring song. This song is titled "Syrup and Honey". She tells her man not to be wasting on all his money on "syrup and honey." Duffy also list of instructions of how to keep her happy in a romantic relationship. It seems like she has had at least one happy relationship in her life. Although I am thinking it was a short relationship. Really this song is terrible and about now I wouldn't blame you if you are looking for a noose.

Unfortunately this CD does not improve with the next five songs. "Hanging On Too Long" is the sixth song on this CD. It is also how I am feeling listening to this CD. It is yet another slow, mellow, dreary song. Then the calvary comes in to save the day on the 7th song. This is the song, "Mercy", which is the song from this CD receiving all the airplay. This song is a great song, but sounds nothing like nothing else on this CD. She sings "I don't know what you do, but you do it well." Then to close out the CD with 3 more lame songs with "Delayed Devotion", "Scared", and "Distant Dreamer". "Delayed Devotion" is actually listenable whereas the other two aren't.

So skip this CD at all costs, buy the single for "Mercy" but anything beyond that is a waste of money. Whoever is Duffy's man please take care of her and love her. Let's hope Duffy can make a similar improvement that Amy Winehouse made from "Frank" to "Back To Black". If not she may join the very long list of one hit wonders. So my rating is 0 songs. Let me explain my rating system. I usually listen to and review these songs on my iPod while I am at work. Then the number of songs is the number of songs that I actually keep on my iPod when I am done reviewing the CD. By the way I listened to this CD while writing this review. I did not like it anymore the second time.

By that criteria R.E.M.'s "Accelerate" has a 8 song rating, the Counting Crows "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings" has a 4 song rating and Nine Inch Nails "The Slip" is 0 songs. I am surprised how many Counting Crows songs survived on my iPod because I did not like that CD that much. A preview of Leona Lewis' CD is a 2 song rating. That will be coming this Saturday. The Muddy Waters CD review will be coming next week.

Now here goes with the "American Idol" fifth place finishers. I am not sure why but the fifth place finishers are such a weak group of performers. Season One: RJ Helton, I have not even heard of him. Season Two: Trenyce, from what I understand she has a great voice, but again she has not done anything that I know of. Season Three: George Huff, again nada. Four: Scott Savol, apparantally he is quite arrogant but apparantally doesn't have the talent to become a great singer. Five: Paris Bennet, again nada. Season Six: Chris Richardson, one of the worst "American Idol" contestants of all-time. He has no singing ability and he is an idiot. Boy what a surprise he has done a total amount of ZERO! Season Seven: Brooke White, from this uninspiring bunch do you see why I am wishing you luck. White released a CD before her "AI" experience and it is not terrible. I think she has the best chance of these seven contestants to become successful. Good luck Brooke. Next up Saturday, the fourth place contestants aren't that impressive either, but definitely a class above the fifth place finishers. Also in the fourth place finishers we have one of the Top 3 sales leaders of all the "American Idol" contestants.

Here are today's songs rocking my iPod. 1) Again Van Halen's "Black and Blue" 2) "Umbrella"- Marie Digby. Yes this is the same as the Rihanna song, it has already been remade. 3) "Hell or High Water"- Tinsley Ellis 4) "Down In The Neighborhood"- Marcia Ball 5) "The Best Damn Thing"- Avril Lavigne 6) "Take On Me"- A-ha The video for this song is one of the all-time best videos. 7) "Keep On Rockin' In The Free World"- Neil Young 8) "Meglomaniac"- Incubus 9) "Hey You" (Live)- Pink Floyd 10) "I'm A King Bee"- Muddy Waters 11) "Iron, Lion, Zion"- Bob Marley 12) "Set You Free"- Black Keys 13) "Send The Pain Below"- Chevelle 14) "Time of the Season"- The Zombies 15) "Billie Jean"- Michael Jackson 16) "Seven Days of Lonely"- I-Nine 17) "Still"- The Commodores 18) "Paralyzer"- Finger 11 This song features one of my favorite lyrics of the year: "If your body matches what your eyes can do". 19) "Bang Your Head" (Metal Health)- Quiet Riot RIP Kevin Dubrow 20) "Behind These Hazel Eyes"-Kelly Clarkson 21) "I''m Gonna Be (500 Miles)- The Proclaimers

Also remember goombah.com is highlighting 15 of their always free MP3's tomorrow. amazon.com will be back with five MP3 albums that can be downloaded at $5 a piece for the next week. Also they have a reduced MP3 album available everyday at a deeply discounted price. Yesterday, they had Madonna's new CD "Hard Candy" available for only $3.99. Now I have been a huge Madonna fan since back in the day. Her last few CD's have not been real great, however getting this CD for only $3.99 I could not resist. Alanis Morissette's "The Collection" is available today for only $4.99. If you are interested in her and have not heard any of her music, this is a good primer. I have been a big fan of hers since "You Oughta Know" came out.

Have a great Friday, I will be back Saturday. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites