Saturday, June 14, 2008

Beginning of Top 50 Artists of All-Time

Hello,

Just like I promised I am back, whether that be for good or bad. To make my Top 50 list, I first wrote down a list of about 400 artists covering all genres. I then condensed that list down to 117 names, then to 77 names and then to 43 names. The 43 names are the names of the bands that I knew for sure were going to be in my Top 50. I then went back to the 77 names and whittled that list down from number 50 to number 44. Now this list is a constantly changing list. I am sure I have left out someone that might make my Top 50. First I will list some other bands that missed my Top 50, bands I really like but not top 50 artists. These artists include Kelly Clarkson, Queen, Run-DMC, Morrissey, Simon and Garfunkel, Boston, Bon Jovi, Rush and Nine Inch Nails.

Also here are some dorky stats. The letters I have come up with most artists are 1) S with 40 artists 2) M with 38 artists 3) B with 35 artists 4) C with 32 artists and 5) Tied with 21 artists are are the letters D, J and P. The bottom 5: 46) I only has 4 artists listed. I was surprised but the only 4 artists I could think of are INXS, Iron Maiden, Billy Idol and Incubus. (There is obviously Insane Clown Posse but they suck so much as not to be even considered. With 400 bands I thought of, they wouldn't even make my Top 500.) 47) Y has 3 artists (Yaz, Neil Young, Paul Young) and tied at 48 are the following 3 letters, all have two bands listed. 48) U (U2, Carrie Underwood) Z (ZZ Topp, Zwan) and X (X, XTC). Also if I could only pick 1 letter for the desert island, it would be the letter M. That way I would still have Madonna, Motley Crue, Morrissey, Alanis Morrissette, Metallica, John Mellencamp, Motion City Soundtrack, Meat Loaf, Mighty, Mighty Bosstones, Tim McGraw plus many other great bands. The letter M unfortunately does not include my all-time favorite band. Just one more note: if I had a hard time picking between two bands I went with the artist I would most rather see in concert when they were in their prime.

So without any further adieu, here is the start of my Top 50:
50) BB King: the second greatest blueman
49) Pink: she has quite a bit of solid work and she is great in concert.
48) Pat Benatar: see above
47) Meat Loaf: brings an air of theatrics to the rock world
46) Cinderella: good luck with the paralyzed vocal cord Mr. Kieffer
45) Bob Seger: A great singer with a lot of excellent songs. My favorite: Main Street
44) Whitesnake: Yes I know a copycat of Led Zeppelin, but if you are going to copy someone, who else would it be besides Led Zeppelin? And if you doubt their chops, check out "In The Still Of The Night" again.

Out of those currently Pat Benatar, Whitesnake, BB King are all on tour. Cinderella were on tour until June 11th when lead singer Tom Keiffer injured his vocal cords in warm up. When I saw Whitesnake in concert, they were disappointing, and their new CD is kind of lame. A review of it will be coming soon. I also saw Cinderella back in the day and they kicked butt. I still remember Tom Keiffer coming down from the rafters playing the piano and singing, "Don't Know What You Got Until It's Gone".

Again this list will change, it might even be from blog to blog, I am going to let the Top 43 percolate in my head until at least Tuesday. I already know my top two but you are going to have to wait.

One band that did not make my Top 50 list was Kiss. However the other day I realized I only owned two of their songs. I wanted to buy a greatest hits collection of theirs. So I wrote down a list of 12 songs that had to be on that CD. These songs are "Rock 'N' Roll All Night", "Detroit Rock City", "Beth", "Strutter", "Lick It Up", "Heaven's on Fire", "I Was Made For Lovin You", "Shout It Out Loud", "Calling Dr. Love", "Love Gun", "Christine Sixteen" and "Deuce". So on iTunes I found one CD that had all these songs except for "Heaven's On Fire". Not only does this CD have 11of my must have songs, their are 10 additional songs as well. The CD is "The Very Best of Kiss" and I paid $11.99 for the CD. I bought the single, "Heaven's On Fire" also. I immeadiately moved 6 of those Kiss classics to my iPod. Although they have a lot of great songs, when I saw them in concert I was not impressed.

Since this has been such a long blog, I am going to put off the Leona Lewis CD review. If you are dying to know, buy "Bleeding Love" and you will have every essential song off the CD. Also a new feature: band of the day. Today's band of the day is prog rockers Blue Oyster Cult. Check them out. Here's a quick couple of reviews. Yesterday I finished reading, "Child 44" by Tom Rob Smith. This is his first book and it is fantastic. It has one of the best twist endings since "The Sixth Sense". I am not going to say anymore. Also I watched "American Gangster" the other day. This movie stars one of my favorite actors, Denzel Washington. It also stars Russell Crowe. The movie is pretty good but the acting of Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington is fantastic. Check the movie out just for that. One final thing: you have got to read the review by Vince Horiuchi in the Salt Lake Tribune about "The Happening". It is one of the funniest reviews I have ever read. You can read it at sltrib.com. It sounds like Shymalan has fallen down since the critical success of his first couple of movies.

Have a good day, I will be back tomorrow. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites