Saturday, June 28, 2008

Arctic Monkeys, Barack Obama and songs rocking my iPod

Hello,

Not much going on today. I am at my parent's house right now so I don't have access to Rhapsody or I would be bringing you a longer review of the Motley Crue CD. With a lot of the lyrics are very explicit, I bought the clean version. I should be getting my physical copy of the CD on Monday and should have a review ready Tuesday. It is a great CD though.

Band of the day: Arctic Monkeys. CD of the day: "Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" by the Arctic Monkeys. A band that was much hyped a few years ago, however they are a band that deserves the hype as they are an excellent band. They have released two CDs so far and both CDs are very good. Definitely check out the excellent songs "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and "View from The Afternoon". Both of those are very cool songs.

Also Katy Perry, who is on some Warped Tour dates, has the 1000th #1 song since the beginning of the rock era. Obviously her song is the much talked about "I Kissed A Girl". Unlike the Arctic Monkeys, that song is not worth the hype. The rock era started in 1955. Also according to the June Spin magazine 58% of music that is downloaded is free. With how sucky the record companies have been, I am glad someone still listens to music.

Recent movies I have seen, my family is watching the first three Indiana Jones movies together so maybe we can go see the fourth one in movie theaters. The other day we watched the second one, "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". This is such a typical 80's movie. It has really awful special effects. Kate Capshaw plays a whiny singer who Jones rescues. Steven Spielberg directed this movie and he went on to marry Kate Capshaw. Many people say this is the clunker of the first three movies. However an enjoyable movie if a bit outdated.

Another movie I watched recently was "The Gridiron Gang" starring The Rock. (Although he now is going by his actual name, Dwayne Johnson.) I did not expect a whole lot from this movie but I was pleasantly surprised. It is actually a pretty good movie. It has a great and inspiring story, the football looks realistic and the acting is even pretty good, even by Dwayne Johnson. I am interested to see him in "Get Smart". I would suggest you check out this movie, especially if you have Comcast On Demand. There you can see it free. Tonight I think I am going to watch "Ghost Rider", I probably would not watch it if I had to pay for it.

Here are more songs rocking my iPod. This is one of the greatest songs released in the last several years. The song is "Los Angeles" by Sugarcult. It is so good that I am going to check out the CD on Rhapsody. I am not expecting too much, if the whole CD were this good, Sugarcult would be superstars now. I will let you know though. 2) "The Joker and the Thief"- Wolfmother 3) "Some Like It Hot"- The Power Station. If you haven't heard this song for awhile check it out. I had forgotten how good of a song it is. (The 80's rule.) 4) "Something Left To Say"- Roman Candle 5) "High" Madonna. This song is from the "Evita" soundtrack. 6) "For The Girl"- Fratelli's 7) "Oh Yeah"- Morning State and 8) "Paralyzer".

Coming tomorrow the first place finishers of "AI", some spectacular some not. Also I have completed my list of my Top 50 artists of all-time, I will reveal some of that list tomorrow. Also maybe a review of that Sugarcult CD will be forthcoming.

There are a couple of very interesting articles in the June Esquire magazine. One is an article by Charles P. Pierce about his cynicism towards Barack Obama. In the article he does some soul searching. It is very interesting as he goes through his thought process and some of the conclusions he comes to. For the record, this article made me want to vote for Obama more than ever. (Full disclosure in this Presidential election I am 95% probably going to be voting for Barack Obama.)

Also in that same issue there is an article about John Yoo, he is the one who was asked by the Bush Administration to write the infamous "Torture memos". Yoo was given a hellacious job, he was asked to define what the US Government could legally do in interrogations according to the rule of law. A very fascinating article and Yoo was placed in a terrible position. Don't form any opinions about him until you read the article, it is very eye opening. It is also very gutwrenching.

Have a good day, I'll be back tomorrow themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites