Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Only 4 more days until "Chinese Democracy"

Hello,

Yes that's right only 4 more days until "Chinese Democracy". Rolling Stone had a review on it's website a couple of weeks ago. Now ew.com has a review up as well, they give it a B-. With the CD coming out Sunday I hope to be giving my own review soon. As you know I am quite excited by the release of this CD.

Although it is going to be sold "exclusively" through Best Buy, I have had it confirmed that you can buy it through some local, independent CD stores. In the Salt Lake area you can pick it up at Greywhale this Sunday. I still have a feeling of disbelief as I write that sentence. IT'S ALMOST HERE! (Also themusicaddict supports local, independent record stores and that is where he will be buying his copy.)

Speaking of this CD, another single has been released to radio, the new song is "Better". Listen to it on demand at q104.3.com/pages/news/gunsnroses/better. I like this song better than the first single "Chinese Democracy".

Okay on to other music as you now know both David Cook and David Archuletta have released their first CD's. Neither one of them is receiving universal praise, but Cook's CD has been getting better reviews. Speaking of David Archuletta there is a hilarious viral video circulating on youtube.com. I couldn't find it on youtube.com itself. If you want to see it go to blogs.sltrib.com/burger and scroll about half way down. The video is of a bunch of pre-teen girls (of course) and their devastation when David Archuletta did not win "American Idol". They have probably moved on now though.

Here are some quick reviews. The new AC/DC CD is titled "Black Ice". I can describe this CD with one word, RAWK! This song really rocks and has several good songs on it. I give this CD a A- and definitely encourage you to pick it up. The next CD is Taylor Swift's "Fearless". Unfortunately I can't be as kind about this CD. This CD feels like a step back, it's not as mature as her previous CD. I think the song "Fifteen" says it all. This is just a temporary step back though. I give this CD a C grade, and probably being generous with that. (I still haven't watched her full concert with Def Leppard yet.) Last and absolutely least the new Bruce Springsteen song was played on the half-time show on this past Sunday's Sunday Night Football. It is a very generic Bruce Springsteen song, it sounds like a throwaway from the "Magic" sessions. I grade the single "Workin' On A Dream" a D-. That does not quell my interest in his new CD though. His new CD of the same name will be released on January 27th.

Finally I have a new favorite website it is mtvmusic.com. This website was launched on October 28th. It is all the videos that has ever been played on MTV. (A long time ago they used to play only videos and that was when the channel was at their best. Eventually they started adding game shows and then reality TV. I have no idea what they are showing now because I haven't watched more than a minute of it for I don't know how long.) Anyway this site is very, very cool. The highlight of course is the videos. But they don't just have videos, they have clips of live performances including "Unplugged". They also have musicians talking about other musicians songs, which is not something that excites me much. In the 3+ weeks it has been going here are the Top 10 videos with their number of viewings:

1) "Womanizer"- Britney Spears 128,428 views. I can't believe this is the #1 most watched video.
2) "Never Gonna Give You Up"- Rick Astley All I can think of that this video is so high is that Rick Astley spends a lot of time at this website. I do like this song, but there are so many other better videos and songs.
3) "Money For Nothing"- Dire Straits. One of the great songs and great videos of all-time.
4) "Video Killed The Radio Star"- The Buggles The first video played on MTV.
5) "Welcome To The Jungle"- Guns n' Roses Do you notice a trend here, 4 straight songs from the 80's. Also this obviously is one of the best songs of all-time.
6) "Under Pressure"- Queen and David Bowie It is also the song that provides the underlying beat for Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby".
7) "Once In A Lifetime"- Talking Heads Yet another 80's song.
8) "Thriller" (Long Version)- Michael Jackson The #11 most watched video is the short version of "Thriller".
9) "Take On Me"- A-ha One of the best videos of all-time even better than its song and it is a great song.
10) "Weapon of Choice"- Fatboy Slim

So 9 of the Top 11 songs are 80's songs, which is easily the best decade for music.
They also have 18 Led Zeppelin so called videos, they are mostly live performances. I am starting a new feature today, video of the day. Today's video of the day is Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall". The video and the song match up perfectly. A video that is completely cool.

That is it for now, enjoy humpday. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites