Thursday, January 5, 2012

Right on Black Keys, Nickelback Does SUCK!, Great Songs

Hello,

One thing that's great about a divorce is that you no longer have to explain yourself or justify the things what you do. There's a very freeing five word statement you can use when people demand an explanation. Use it freely and often: "It Is What It Is".



The new cover for Rolling Stone magazine is the Black Keys (see above), they are a very cool and funky rock band. I really like their sludgy rock sound and a band that deserves the cover of Rolling Stone. Although I'm surprised that they got a cover. Anyway one of the band, Patrick Carney, had some very spot on things to say about Nickelback:

"Rock & roll is dying because people became OK with Nickelback being the biggest band in the world," he says. "So they became OK with the idea that the biggest rock band in the world is always going to be shit – therefore you should never try to be the biggest rock band in the world. F that! Rock & roll is the music I feel the most passionately about, and I don't like to see it fing ruined and spoon-fed down our throats in this watered-down, post-grunge crap, horrendous shit." (I've edited this a bit.)

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cover-story-excerpt-the-black-keys-20120104#ixzz1icttlygD

I couldn't agree with him more, Nickelback sucks. I had the misfortune of seeing them in concert. They were too loud, too stupid and have no idea how to perform in concert. They would play a crappy song, stop and do some inane thing, play a crappy song, stop do some inane thing all through their set. They had no idea about building momentum. There's no way they should be headliner. I'm still laughing that some Detroit Lions fans took up a petition to veto Nickelback playing halftime at their nationally televised game on Thanksgiving. They ended up playing. While I don't know if I agree that Nickelback is the biggest band in the world, that they would be even be considered shows how lame the music scene is now.

As I go through watching all 6 seasons of "Lost", for the most part I'm really enjoying it. I just barely finished watching the end of season 3 a few days ago. For those of you don't remember that was the last of Charlie Pace being on the show. I was neutral about the character of Pace during his 3 seasons on the show. I always thought he was a bit of a selfish wanker, but he proved himself to a man when he died for his fellow Oceanic 815 survivors. I liked how much he cared for Claire and helped take care of Aaron. He achieved redemption as a character by his heroic final act. (Of course this is "Lost" so characters never completely leave.)

I love music, but got sick of hearing about his one hit wonder band Drive Shaft.

Here's Drive Shaft's "hit", this isn't one of the great songs.


Here's Charlie Pace singing a snippet of "Wonderwall":


I like the scenes when he was singing on the streets. He absolutely picked one of the greatest songs ever to sing, that's Oasis' "Wonderwall". While Oasis is easily one of the most overrated bands of all-time, they did have this sublime moment of glory. I like how this video starts out with the singer singing into a mirror. That's perfect for the narcissistic d bags. And now that I think about it Oasis and Drive Shaft have a lot in common. This video has 39 million youtube hits, that seems appropriate. Anyway here's one of the best songs ever:


I just have one question as I started watching Season 4 of "Lost" last night, why is Rose and Bernard still on? What purpose do they serve? I can see why this show was dwindling in quality. Too many scattershot characters and story lines. At the start of season 4 there are two groups of Oceanic 815 survivors, plus the Others, plus the freight crew and finally all the flash forwards going on.

This show was in desperate need of editing. And I'm so tired of Ben. His story lines involve him lying about something over and over again. There are still great things that suck me in. For instance when Ben shot Locke and the bullet went through his body. Locke says he probably would have died if he still had that kidney. I love that. I also love the quirky charm of Hurley, although it took him awhile to grown on me. With moments and characters like that I still enjoy this show very much and I expect to be sad once I'm done watching it.

Also here's the hilarious 8:15 review of the first 3 seasons of "Lost". My favorite part "Mr. Friendly throws like a girl".


More great songs, check out needtobreathe.


Instead of picking up the latest CD from Nickelback, go to amazon.com and buy the "Alligator Records 40th Anniversary Collection" MP3 CD for only $4.99. It contains 38 great blues songs. A selection of those songs. I love the blues guitar sound in Janiva Magniss "Slipped, Tripped and Fell In Love":


Son Seals "Going Home". This is actually a different song than on the CD, but this is also a great song. I love that blues feeling, highlighted by the great guitar playing.


Finally Rick Estrin's "U B U":


Spin Doctors "Two Princes":


Backstreet Boys "Larger Than Life":


Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good":


I've officially decided that I like Taylor Swift quite a bit. I'm excited that she'll be in the musical adaptation of "Les Miserables":


I know I had a few Smiths songs on one of my recent blogs. However when I think of great songs, these are two songs that usually rush to my mind.


"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out":


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites