Sunday, January 1, 2012

Utes, Cougars, Cowboys football etc., Season 3 "Lost" finale thoughts

Hello,

The Dallas Cowboys are one of the most creative teams in the NFL. I don't remember a team who can find so many creative ways of losing. I can't guarantee that the Cowboys will lose for sure today, they are playing the very inept Giants. As a Cowboys fan I'd be extremely surprised if Dallas won today. I've been following them for so long and have had my heart broken so many times. The Cowboys have failed to deliver the big win so many times, now I've come to expect a loss in every big game they play in. Honestly I'd prefer the Cowboys to lose today which would give them a better draft pick and an easier schedule next season. Also that would save them the embarrassment of losing at home next week in the first round of the playoffs. As usual I'll be finding something else to do tonight rather than watch the Cowboys choke yet again.

How will the Boys lose today? Will it be Tony Romo with a big interception or fumble? Though to be fair he's been pretty solid the last half of this season. Will it be Terrance Newman giving up another big pass? Please Dallas cut him after this game and save all that money you are scheduled to pay him next season. But this season's weak point has been their defense. Thus my prediction is that the Cowboys D will give up the big plays. They just don't have enough athletes, especially in the secondary. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys get blown out today. I'm giving Rob Ryan a pass this first season. If you don't have enough good players it doesn't matter what kind of defense a team runs.

Sarcasm alert: Hey Jerry no matter what happens today, stay the teams GM. You've done a hell of a job the last 15 seasons.

After the Broncos were blown out the last couple of games, a lot of the hype about Tim Tebow has gone away. Thank goodness! Although I was disappointed when the Jazz Bear was wearing a Tim Tebow jersey at a Jazz game recently. I'll be cheering for the Chiefs to get a big victory today and eliminate the Broncos from playoff contention. I hope Kyle Orton throws for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. I also hope Tebow doesn't break 100 yards passing and he's exposed for the the fraud NFL quarterback he is.

My alma mater came up big yesterday in their bowl game. The University of Utah, the real U, beat Georgia Tech 30-27 in the Sun Bowl. In their inaugural Pac 12 season, the Utes finished 8-5. The Pac 12 should be damn glad they invited the Utes to their conference. The Pac 12 has been exposed as being highly overrated as a football conference this bowl season. Thankfully for the Pac 12 the Utes won their bowl game. The Pac 12 is now 1-4 in this season's bowl games. I expect the Utes to do much better in the Pac 12 next season. John "The Wolfman" White will be coming back for his senior season. He ran for 1,519 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. At the least he should receive some Heisman publicity next year.

Coach Kyle Whittingham also returns, the Utes would be wise to keep him around as long as possible. Coach Whit is a fantastic head coach as highlighted by his 7-1 record in bowl games. The man knows what he's doing. Now I hope he can go out and find a real quarterback for the Utes for next season. I acknowledge how hard that would be. Jon Hays gave the Utes all he could and had several big plays for the Utes yesterday. However I don't think he's going to get a lot better. After being knocked out of the last two seasons early due to injury, the flimsy Jordan Wynn will be returning to the Utes next year. Not only is he injury prone, he's just not that good of quarterback. He'll only break hearts if the Utes put too much faith into him. BYU and Utah's quarterback situations have a lot in common.

Meanwhile the Ute Men's Basketball team continues it's wretched season. Most people realized that the Utes would have a tough season this year. In fact, it may be a few years before they are as good as they were in the Rick Majerus era. Just one stat to show you how bad their basketball team is this season. Yesterday their basketball team only scored 3 more points than their football team.

I predict that the BYU's Mens basketball team will have a good year this year. They should qualify for a NCAA Tourney bid and compete for the West Coast Conference title. But I don't expect much more than that. I'm not sure what it is about this team, but they seem to be missing something. And no it's not Jimmer Fredette. I'm not sure what that missing ingredient is either. The Cougars were exposed in their 98-82 beatdown to St. Mary's. And that unknown missing ingredient will haunt them all season.

One thing that I love about the West Coast Conference is their souped up high school gyms. It was hilarious seeing their seat layout at St. Marys. What are they going to think when they get to the 20,000 seat Marriott Center?

Over the last couple of days I watched the last 8 hours of "Lost" Season 3. After "Lost's" sterling first 2 seasons, Season 3 was very uneven. I just find that the Others don't interest me that much. I'm glad 10 of them were killed in the episodes I watched yesterday. Although just because your dead on "Lost", that doesn't mean that we won't see you again. Also Charlie Pace was written out at the end of season 3. The morally ambiguous Charlie went out heroically, dying so that Claire and Aaron could be rescued by helicopters. I wasn't a big fan of Charlie Pace until these last few episodes. I loved the list of the Top 5 moments of his life, with meeting Claire at #1. Although from Desmond's flashes we knew that Pace wasn't going to be on the show much longer, I hoped there would be some way to keep his character on the show.

But are these people coming to rescue the Oceanic Flight 815 survivors really good people or not? Not that I believe anything that Ben says but I could see the rescuers being written as bad people.

Although I wasn't sure I was going to watch any more of "Lost", Season 3's last few episodes sucked me back in. I loved the flash forward with Kate and Jack in LA. (One thing that I don't like about "Lost" is how much the producers have relied on the flashbacks.) Why they made Kate wear so much makeup though, she looked so much better back on the island. Kate tells Jack that someone is waiting for her. The obvious person would be Sawyer. But this show has so many misdirections, who knows who's really waiting for her. It could be Ben for all we know. Also who's viewing did Jack go to, but that no one else went to? For some reason I'm guessing it's John Locke, although would he ever really leave the island?

So it looks like I'll be watching Season 4 soon.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites