Saturday, June 30, 2012

1990: A Musical Transition Year (Updated July 2nd, 2012)

Hello,

Looking back at 1990, you can clearly see that music was in transition. Hair metal was on it's way out, although I don't think anyone realized it at the time. Grunge was just around the corner, but but very people even knew what that was in 1990. Looking at 1990's Top 100 songs, there's not even a slightest clue that a grunge explosion was on the way. There's literally no 1990 song to indicate grunge was on it's way. Also some of the biggest stars of the 80's like Billy Idol and George Michael were also on the way out. New Wave was pretty much dead. Rap was on it's way in, but was more of a rap/pop hybrid in 1990.  Pop music pretty much dominated 1990.

Who were the big winners for music in 1990? They were Janet Jackson, M.C. Hammer, Mariah Carey and the severely under appreciated Taylor Dayne. Phil Collins had a humongous year he finished with 4 songs in the Top 60 for that year. Even the long forgotten After 7 had two hits that year. Diversity was also a big winner that year, music from many genres was on the radio. From pop, rock, the rap/pop hybrid and even more rootsy music. There were also many great one hit wonders that year, many of those songs don't fit comfortably in one specific genre. That's when music is at it's best is when many genres are having big songs. When one genre of music dominates, music can get quite boring.

My favorite Mariah Carey song of all-time. "Vision of Love":



My favorite Phil Collins song of 1990, a song that reminds me way too much of my divorce. Why, because of the line "how many times can I say I'm sorry?". This is "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven":



Of course when you talk about 1990, you can't forget the song that put M.C. Hammer on the map. "U Can't Touch This" surprisingly has 2000 dislikes on Youtube. WTH? This is just a great song and one of the best dance songs ever:



Janet Jackson made an impact in 1990 with "Black Cat":



Whatever happened to Taylor Dayne, she had some of the best songs of the early 1990s. Here are a couple of my favorites:

"I'll Be Your Shelter":



"Love Will Lead You Back":



Who were the biggest losers of 1990? Boy bands had a few hits that year, but were clearly on the way out. Michael Bolton had a big year, but it's clear now how disposable his music was. This horrific piece of pure pop crap might have killed boy bands for this generation. I actually quite like "Hangin' Tough", but this song is shameless. Starting with the words, "This is a very serious message":



Again this is all based on Billboard Top 100 songs for that year, which means there were many great songs that didn't chart. This blog is an inexact science. There's a playlist on Spotify that has 97 of the Top 100 songs for 1990. The three songs not in the Spotify playlist are fairly forgettable. Those three songs are Dino's "Romeo", Tyler Collins "Girls Night Out" and D-Mob (featuring Cathy Dennis) "C'mon Get My Love".

Here are some of the musical highlights of that year:

In 1990 I was working at a grocery store and I had the biggest crush on this red headed hottie. She really liked this Milli Vanilli's "Girl You Know It's True", but she couldn't afford to buy it. I recorded a tape (remember those?) of the CD for her. All of Milli Vanilli's "Girl You Know It's True" was on that tape. Sadly nothing came of the relationship, we both married other people and I lost track of her long ago. But I still love "Girl You Know It's True".

Yes I know that Milli Vanilli went on to be proved a fraud. It was in November, 1990 that the man with the idea behind Milli Vanilli, Frank Farian, confessed to the sham. Four days later Milli Vanilli's Grammy award was taken away. So yes I know the band was a fraud, however in spite of that there are a lot of great songs from that CD. Although the two faces of Milli Vanilli weren't also the singers, the actual singers were very good.

This is my favorite song of theirs: "Blame It On The Rain":



They also had "All or Nothing" that year:



Some of the many other great songs from 1990. Tom Cruise, yes that Tom Cruise, really rocks this song in "Rock of Ages". This is Jon Bon Jovi's version (filmed in my home state of Utah!):



If you had recently asked me who the Michael with musically the best 1990, I would have said George Michael. However looking back Michael Bolton ruled 1990. However his 3 songs on the Top 100 are completely forgettable, I don't even know if we could consider him a footnote for that year now. George Michael was rapidly fading away, this was one of his last gasps at continuing a successful career. This song't title is also very much a self fulfilling prophecy for his career. This is "Praying For Time":



Another great 80's musician on the way out that year was Billy Idol. He did a decent cover of The Doors "L.A. Woman" and this very sexy song:



This was one of the many great one hit wonders of 1990. I love a great ballad, even a song that I hadn't thought of for years, this is Sweet Sensation's "If Wishes Came True":



I'm pretty sure I had this song on a cassingle. Do you remember those environment killing things? I  loved a lot of things about the music at the time, but thank goodness for iTunes and buying a song online. Another great one hit wonder, Maxi Priest's "Close To You":



Another one hit wonder, but a very funky song by Glenn Medeiros (featuring Bobby Brown). This trend of someone rapping over a song sadly continues to this day.



Lisa Stansfield's "Been Around The World":



Faith No More's "Epic", otherwise known as the flopping fish video. The official video is embedded by request. It's a good thing, because I was going to post that video on my blog. I know I would have been able to make millions from it :) In other words: stupid. I remember seeing Faith No More open for Billy Idol. "Epic":



Another amazing song by a one hit wonder, this is Alannah Myles:



A great song to dance to, for those so inclined: Snap's "The Power":



Madonna had "Vogue", one of my favorites of her songs:



Should I be embarrassed that I like this song?: Nelson's "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection":



This is the first time I've seen the actual video available on youtube.com. Jane Child's "I Don't Want To Fall In Love":



Soul || Soul's "Back To Life":



Bell Biv Devoe's "Poison":



Go West's "King of Wishful Thinking":



Pebbles "Giving You The Benefit of The Doubt":



Not a one hit wonder, not only that but one of the greatest songs ever. Although it's one of those late 80's, early 90's bizarre videos. Every time this song comes on Rewind 100.7 I crank the radio. Depeche Mode's "Enjoy The Silence":



I hadn't heard this song for a long time. When I saw the title I thought yeah I remember that song, but it sucks. However when I listened to it again I thought hey that's a pretty good song. Rod Stewart's "Downtown Train":



Paul Young's "Oh Girl":



One of the two "Hold On" songs from that year. This is the better of the two songs, Wilson Phillips:



Here's a song about a girl from Reseda, Tom Petty's "Free Falling":



Hair metal is holding on for it's dear life, here are some of the last popular hair metal songs:

One of my favorite hair metal bands was Skid Row. Yes, I even liked this song:



Poison's "Unskinny Bop":



Possibly not a hair metal band, but did fit in with those bands. Tesla's "Love Song":



Some of the not so good songs from that year.

Can you believe they stretched this song to over 5 minutes?



This song is not as terrible as the above song. Biz Markie's "Just A Friend":



themusicaddict

1 comment:

Justin M said...

There are a lot of good songs on this blog. Well done.

Favorites