Monday, June 25, 2012

What I'm Reading Now: "Fatherland", "Outlander" and Gillian Flynn

Hello,

It's been awhile since I've posted about what I'm reading. I used to be so ambitious that I tried to even have my own book club. Unfortunately that required too much effort and time, especially since I'm lazy, so that faded away. However I never stopped reading. After recently getting a Kindle, my reading has increased. I still read old school Kindles, or as some people call them books. I don't have a problem reading on a Kindle, they are extremely user friendly. Turning pages is intuitive and I love how ebooks have a bookmark. And 90% of ebooks are $9.99 or less, plus you can buy many quality books for under $2.00. I absolutely love my Kindle, now if they could only figure out a way to recreate the new book smell. That's only one of the best smells known to man.

I wanted to give a quick update on the books I'm currently reading. I'm not sure whether it's due to my ADHD, but it's rare that I stick with a book straight through to the end. That's even true with books that I'm absolutely loving. It's not that I stop reading the book, at least initially, it's just that I start reading other books. So I'm usually reading 2 or 3 or 4 etc. books at one time. Then with getting a new Kindle, it's only adding to my reading ADHD. There are so many great books so cheap on the Kindle. Plus like regular books, you can check out ebooks from your local library. Although I have to note that the selection of  Kindle ebooks at libraries is very limited.

Here's what I'm reading now:

1) Robert Harris's "Fatherland". It's an alternate fictional history, what could have happened if Germany hadn't lost World War 2. In this alternate history, D Day was either a failure or never occurred. That and other Allies failures allowed a Hitler led Germany to remain in power. The novel is based around Gestapo detective Xavier March and his investigation into the death of a prominent party member, Josef Buhler. The setting is 1964 Germany where Hitler is very much alive. Germans are preparing to celebrate his 75th birthday.

Also President Kennedy has agreed to visit Germany in hopes of reaching detente with Nazi Germany. The President Kennedy storyline is intriguing. As you know in actuality President Kennedy died in November, 1963. So who is this President Kennedy? One of the very clever touches in this book. As in actuality there was The Cold War, but in this alternate history it's going on between Germany and the USA. The USSR didn't reach it's place of prominence as they did in reality, Russia is left fighting a guerrilla war against the Germans. (While I'm loving these what if kind of books, I'm so glad this book is a work of fiction. Nazism needed to be stopped and thank goodness D Day was an overwhelming success.)

I've read about 40% so far and there's a good chance that I'll actually finish the book. In fact writing this blog makes me want to continue reading it right now.

"Fatherland" was made into a 1994 HBO movie, it stars Rutger Hauer. I hadn't heard of the movie until I read the "Fatherland" wikipedia.org page. The things you learning reading wikipedia!

2) Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander". I've read about the first 300 pages of this book so far. This is one of those books that I love, but I just get the urge to read something else. "Outlander" is the first book in a 7 book series. This series so far has spun out a play and a graphic novel. "Outlander" tells the story of Claire Randall and her adventures in both 1743 Scotland and 1945 Inverness. You'll have to read the book to understand why. While I'm quite enjoying the adventures of Claire, I'm not a big fan that she has a husband in each era.

3) Then on my Kindle I'm currently reading Gillian Flynn's "Dark Places". It's the story of Libby Day, who is one of two survivors of her family being killed. She's one of two survivors and the only witness. The other survivor, her older brother, is now in prison for killing the rest of their family. Libby was able to live on a life insurance policy comfortably for about 13 years. However she eventually ran out of money. In an act of desperation, because she doesn't want to get a job, and for $700 she agrees to talk to a so-called Kill Group to answer questions about this crime. That's all I've read so far but I'm intrigued by this very interesting premise. This book is full of very bizarre characters. A lot of chills and thrills are on their way I can tell.

Flynn is currently riding the success of her current novel, the much praised "Gone Girl". Amazon.com's books editors have called "Gone Girl" one of their Top 10 books of the year so far. (Thanks ew.com.)

Below is a lovely picture of Miss Flynn.


I have "Gone Girl's" first chapter on my Kindle. Being able to read a first chapter on a Kindle is one of the greatest and worst things about the Kindle. I love being able to read the first chapter of a book. You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover is the old saying. However I'm perfectly comfortable judging a book by it's first chapter. If the first chapter doesn't suck me completely into the story, then it's highly likely it's not a book I'm going to enjoy. ("The Hunger Games" being a rare exception to this rule.)

With the Kindle it's so easy to say yes, please download the rest of the book to my Kindle. Although I have learned the hard way if you want a book to go to your Kindle, get it through amazon.com directly. ebooks that I've purchased on my Kindle I've been charged sales tax. However books I bought at amazon.com and then sent to my Kindle, no sales tax has been charged.

I'm not sure when more reading updates will be coming. I just wanted to let you know what books I'm reading. I would highly recommend all three books I've mentioned here. I also have "Gone Girl" on hold at my local library. Seriously I love living in America, the greatest country in the world.

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites