Thursday, June 21, 2012

More Hair Metal Highlights: Skid Row, Warrant, Night Ranger and Some More Obscure Songs

Hello,

"Rock of Ages" has prompted a hair metal revival, no it's not only me. Rolling Stone Magazine, which is featured prominently, in "Rock of Ages" asked it's readers to vote for the Top Ten Hair Metal songs of all-time. The list is pretty predictable, check it out at rollingstone.com. Below is their top ten hair metal songs, but their website also has interesting snippets about the songs and artists.

10) "Sweet Child O' Mine"- Guns N' Roses
9) "Here I Go Again"- Whitesnake
8) "Nothin' But A Good Time"- Poison
7) "Girls Girls Girls"- Motley Crue
6) "Cherry Pie"- Warrant
5) "Home Sweet Home"- Motley Crue
4) "Welcome To The Jungle"- Guns N' Roses
3) "Paradise City"- Guns N' Roses
2) "Photograph"- Def Leppard
1) "Pour Some Sugar On Me"- Def Leppard

The two biggest surprises for me in that list is that a more obscure song didn't break into the Top Ten. Maybe there's a couple of those in the 11-20 range. I wish Rolling Stone would publish those as well. I'm also surprised that "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" didn't make the Top Ten.

Today I'm going to feature several more great hair metal songs for your pleasure. Some of these are very famous songs. But I also spent the morning doing a little digging trying to find some forgotten songs and artists.

Do you remember Steelheart? Their big song was "I'll Never Let You Go":



I don't remember either the band or the song, but I like "Pissed" by Dangerous Toys:



I vaguely remember Faster Pussycat, but I definitely don't remember "Bathroom Wall":



Y&T's "Summertime Girls". I read the review in the Salt Lake Tribune today about last night's Def Leppard and Poison concert. The reviewer said the music isn't very smart. That's true, but what popular music is? This music wasn't trying for smart it was only trying for fun. Songs like "Summertime Girls"  are fun. There might even have been a little dancing going on when it was playing. This is one of my favorite songs of the hair metal era and I even saw Y&T play live back in the day:



Saigon Kick's "What You Say":



Again I don't either remember King Kobra or "Mean Street Machine", but this song rawks:



Pretty Boy Floyd's "Leather Boyz With Electric Toys":



Now a few more from Skid Row, this is "Youth Gone Wild":



Here's one of the better heavy metal ballads, "I Remember You":



Two years after releasing their self-titled CD, Skid Row released "Slave To The Grind". That CD rocked so much harder than their self-titled debut. I remember a reviewer at the time said that it sounded like Skid Row had been eating glass while making this CD. I wouldn't call any song off "Slave To The Grind" hair metal, it's just straight kick butt music. This is the song "Slave To The Grind":



Extreme's "Cupids Dead": (There's not any video with better sound.)



Another great heavy metal ballad, Extreme's "More Than Words":



Here's a few from Warrant. I'm actually quite a big fan of their first CD "Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich" "Cherry Pie" is way too obvious to include here, I also think that was the beginning of the end for them as major players. "Heaven" is also extremely obvious, but I don't think I'll get sick of "Heaven":



"I Saw Red":



"Down Boys":



"32 Pennies":



This was filmed just a few months before Jani Lane died. This might be my favorite Warrant song. "So Damn Pretty (Should Be Against The Law)":



I wouldn't call Night Ranger a hair metal band. However they were right in that era and they also had some songs that kicked butt. And "Sister Christian" is one of the better songs from that era:



"Secret Of My Success":



"Don't Tell Me You Love Me":



Hmm, I don't remember this song. For some reason Youtube is featuring it prominently on Night Ranger songs. Do you remember "I Did It For Love"?:



themusicaddict

2 comments:

Justin M said...

You have some great songs here. Don't forget the Steel Dragon tracks from the Rock Star soundtrack. Although not a real hair band, the songs are spot on.

Unknown said...

OMG!! I totally remember Faster Pussycat's Bathroom wall" song....I still rock out to that every time it comes on Sirius/xm's "Hair Nation"! I'm a chick and I LUV that elfin song!!!

Favorites