Thursday, June 14, 2012

"Cold Case" vs "The Killing", Great songs

Hello,

Thanks to the great invention called the DVR, I've been able to go back and watch the first six episodes of "Cold Case". It's one of my favorite shows of all-time. I love all the characters especially Lilly Rush and Scotty Valens. But all the main characters are great. I also love the stories and how they were set in many different eras. I didn't start watching the show until the third or fourth season, so many of these episodes are new to me. I enjoy this show so much for the above and many other reasons. Their use of excellent music is great. For instance just in the last couple of episodes I viewed "Cold Case" used excellent music by Air Supply and Bonnie Tyler. The music is great but it also fits in with the story of that specific episode.

One episode they used Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" to show the devastation of a man losing his brother and a detective spiraling out of control. The embedding is disabled by request, here's the link if so interested (of course it helps if you are a fan of the show).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPKnuUFwNsQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL7F17E0C90C1F707F

Of course "Wish You Were Here" was also written for Syd Barrett, early genius of Pink Floyd. Here's the David Gilmour unplugged version:



In Season 1, Episode 5 "The Runner" they used the great Gladys Knight and the Pips "Midnight Train To Georgia":



They "Cold Case" episode also used some nasty funk to add some authenticity to that early 70's story. That episode is also the first we see of Veena Sud in her work with "Cold Case". She's the writer of "The Runner" episode. It's a very thoughtful, well told story. It has cool plot twists and the viewer really feels for the characters. The ending isn't predictable and one of the characters gets a measure of redemption. In other words many things I like in this great show.

In other words the complete opposite of her craptastic "The Killing". After a strong start that show has completely fallen apart. The only thing I can think is what could've been. As a writer Sud had a true gift, but she's way over her head as a producer.

Speaking of which after too many sidetracks, boring story lines and red herrings this season finally ends Sunday. It was just way too many hours of boring television for such a simple story. The world waits with bated breathe, okay it's more likely the barely over 1 million hanger-ons will finally find out who killed Rosie Larsen. Are you excited, can you survive the waiting? Will I be watching "The Killing" series finale- there's no way this show gets renewed. No, I won't be watching it.

After the terrible first two episodes of this season I stopped watching the show. I haven't watched any more episodes since then. I could care less who killed Rosie Larsen, actually I'm more concerned about someone killing "The Killing". From the early part of the series my opinion is that Rosie's own Dad, Stan, killed her. Thankfully ew.com will break the news so I don't have to watch the finale. You know they won't show who killed Rosie until the very end of that episode.

Again Veena Sud stretched out the thin story way too long, this should have been a 10 episode season or a mini series. I blame Sud for planning so poorly and AMC for actually ordering a second season. AMC should have made Sud show who the killer was at the end of Season One and not allowed any more episodes to be made. Money would have been better spent on finding the next "Mad Men", "The Walking Dead" or "Breaking Bad".

If you wonder if I'm not watching "The Killing" Sunday night, what will I be watching? I'll be watching the first two episodes of Season Two of "Falling Skies". A show that had a much better first season than "The Killing".



For those of you who may have missed Season One, here's a brief recap:




One more quick TV reminder, the excellent "Rizzoli and Isles" is now showing their Season 3. It's on every Tuesday night, this season's second episode was shown two nights ago.

From the wickedly feverish imagination of Roger Waters, this is "Mother" from the movie "The Wall".



I prefer the shorter version though, the 7 minute version is just too stretched out. This is Pink Floyd's original version of "Mother". (Yes, I've been on a bit of Pink Floyd kick lately.)



This is a much more recent song, a very cool song. This is The Mynabirds "Body of Work":



Thanks to my friends at Rewind 100.7 for reminding of this great 80's classic:



I dedicate this song to a special friend, this is The Smoking Popes "Megan":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites