Thursday, July 3, 2014

themusicaddict's Almost A Classic CD, But Not Quite: James Taylor's "You've Got A Friend" (Finished, July 6th, 2014)

Hello,

This blog is inspired by the CMT Crossroads special from my previous blog about The Dixie Chicks' "Fly". In that special they sing with James Taylor. While watching that very entertaining performance I thought to myself does James Taylor have a Greatest CD of All-Time? My conclusion is no, but he does have some very good CDs. Many would consider his most classic CD to be "Sweet Baby James". That CD features the title track, "Country Road" and all-time classic song "Fire and Rain". That's indeed a solid CD. Personally I'm a fan of the more obscure "That's Why I'm Here", a CD full of great songs.

Before I determine whether a CD is a Greatest CD of All-Time it either has to be a CD I've listened to at least dozens of times already or I go listen to it. When I went to Rdio.com to research great James Taylor CDs, I discovered the CD titled "You've Got A Friend". According to Rdio.com, this CD was released on June 30th, 1975. The only problem with that is that Wikipedia or amazon doesn't show any information that such a CD has actually ever existed.

It sounds like it might be a live recording, but if so there's no audible audience.

On Rdio the record company listed for this CD is Vision 21 OMP. On Rdio's Vision 21 OMP tab are included greatest hits CDs by such legendary performers as Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline and Merle Haggard. But they also have a lot of obscure (to me) musicians. I can't find a lot of information on the 'net about what exactly Vision 21 OMP is. One thing that gives me doubts about Vision 21 OMP is that they misspell lonely as lonly on "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonite". That's a very long explanation to say I don't think that "You've Got A Friend" was ever released as an actual CD. It seems to be a very good compilation of great songs slapped together to form a playlist. Anyway it's a great compilation, so with the above caveats I'm going with this as a not quite a classic CD.

1) "You've Got A Friend":



2) "Handy Man":



3) "Don't Let Me Be Lonely Tonite":



4) "Up On The Roof":



5) "Her Town Too" (with J.D. Souther):



6) "Like Everyone She Knows":



7) "Copperline" (One of my favorite JT songs):



"Copperline" (live)



8) "Fire and Rain" (And of course one of the greatest songs of all-time.) :



"Fire and Rain" (Live in 1970) :



9) "Sweet Potato Pie":



10) "Never Die Young" (According to Wikipedia, the CD this song was on was released 1988. So obviously it couldn't be on a CD released in 1975. I'm really confused.):



11) "Country Road":



12) "How Sweet It Is":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites