Tuesday, July 22, 2014

themusicaddict's Things I'm Not Writing About Today, July 22nd, 2014 (Updated July 24th)

Hello,

These are the topics I won't be writing about today. I write these blogs when I have a bunch of random thoughts rambling around in my head, but they wouldn't make a full blog by themselves.

TV:

"The Last Ship": I've seen the first 5 episodes of this show. When I started seeing previews for this show, I thought to myself that looks really dumb. However I read a local reporter's column who'd said he'd seen the first few episodes and had enjoyed the show. Due to his recommendation I decided to watch the show, but sad to say it's really dumb. I'm halfway through it's hopefully only season and will stick with it. However if you think you might want to watch it, I suggest you don't. If the show was any dumber, it would be called "Revolution".

And if Tex and Dr. Scott get together, that would be a new low in dumbness for this show. You know Tex, he's the random stranger The USS Nathan James picked up at Gitmo.

"Murder In The First", I've seen the first 6 episodes of this show. Again this isn't the greatest show, but it's better than "The Last Ship". Although in watching the 6th episode last night the shift from police work to the court room slows down the story. However I liked the story line of Mulligan's ex-husband wanting to get coffee with Detective English to ask for amends. I like a person's and a character's journey to seeking forgiveness. We actually see a more fully realized, well rounded character. It makes the character more likable. Definitely something different than a normal police procedural. Then Detective English asked amends of the prisoner he beat up during interrogation, Chris Walton. I have a feeling that apology will be paying dividends before the end of the season. If not, this isn't the last we'll be seeing Walton.

But I'm sorry I just don't believe that Erich Blunt is the one who killed Cindy Strauss. Although some of the evidence presented in the episode 5, which I watched last night, gave me pause. He really is a creep though and what's up with the freaky Ivana? In police shows, rarely is it the first suspect that killed the victim, unless the detectives come back to them a second time. Despite his apparent suicide and "confession" we know that Mark Strauss didn't kill Cindy.

But I've got to love a show that features such an amazing cast, including Taye Diggs, James Cromwell and Richard Schiff- although that ponytail has got to go!

"Rectify": I've seen the first season and the first 5 episodes of season two. After one of the most amazing first seasons ever, the second season has really struggled. It seems there was a solid and well played plan for the first season that was followed to perfection. However the second season has had no cohesive whole, it seems to be comprised of different scenes that are only slightly connected.

And if Tawny is really pregnant I'm going to scream. Tawny and Teddy shouldn't be together at all, they have no chemistry. Their relationship has 0% believability. Tawny is too good of a girl and needs to considerably lighten up and Teddy is just a jerk. Is a potential pregnancy a way to drive the two characters apart?

Other TV: I've watched "Longmire" through the 8th episode of it's third season. "Longmire" continues to be a very solid show, themusicaddict gives that series a big thumbs up. It likes to focus on certain story lines way too long, can we please quickly resolve who killed Miller Beck? Beck killed Martha Longmire, originally the story was she died of cancer. Overall this is a great show with a great cast. I love Robert Taylor's portrayal of Walt Longmire, he plays him with so much class and skill. Any show with Katee Sackhoff will be a show I'll watch just for her. I love the feisty and incredible characters she plays. She has a clear sexiness that's quite alluring. I also love Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear. Phillips and his role is as good of a fit as is Taylor and Longmire. Sometimes it just seems an actor and a role are a perfect fit.

I love Cassidy Freeman as Cady Longmire, the lovely Miss Freeman has amazing eyes. Like Sackhoff, she's not a woman that's a natural beauty. However she knows how to use the assets she has to her full advantage.

With the dissolution of Shaun and Vic's marriage, I'm hoping that doesn't mean Longmire and Vic are going to get together. Cliche alert, which might be as bad of a cliche as Tawny getting pregnant. I do wonder how "Longmire" is going to resolve all of it's story lines with only 2 episodes left. I don't know if this show is going to get a fourth season, so I hope they wrap some most of the story lines. Is David Ridges real or is he just a figment of Branch's imagination? Will the show actually resolve who killed Miller Beck? Please let's hope so. If "Longmire" gets a fourth season, I hope we never have to hear the names Miller Beck or Dareus again! Will the fate of Henry Standing Bear also be resolved?

Another show that I've been watching is the very intriguing "Tyrant". I've watched the first 5 episodes of it's debut season. "Tyrant" is anchored by the excellent Adam Rayner, who plays the brother of the tyrant. Rayner plays Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed, an Americanized free thinker in the land of my way or the highway fictional Abbudin. Rayner is surrounded by 3 amazingly gorgeous actresses in Moran Atias, Jennifer Finnigan and Sybilla Deen.

Sibylla Deen

Moran Atias

Jennifer Finnigan
All three women are regularly dressed in dresses that emphasize their amazing figures.

The show is centered around Barry, who's been living in America for 20 years. Barry married an American and they have two children. Barry and his family return to Abbudin for his dipshit, entitled nephew's wedding. While he's there his father, Abbudin's ruthless dictator, dies. The kingdom falls into the untested leadership of his son Jamal. Barry decides to stay around for a month or so to help his brother rule in a much more friendly way. Barry is much more liberal in his ideas to help reform the country. He doesn't want Jamal to end up like   Muammar al-Gaddafi. Barry had sent a link to Jamal of Gaddafi's death march, a video that Jamal has on seemingly infinite loop as a fate he wants to avoid.

"Under The Dome" is back for it's second season. After an insultingly stupid first season I'm not watching the second season. Along with "Jericho" and "Revolution" this might be the worst show ever to get a second season. Who's watching this show? I love the writing of Stephen King and this TV show is based on his book. However "Under The Dome" is one of King's lesser novels and for the TV show they dumbed down from the book.

I just recently got Netflix and I've started watching two shows there. First up is "The Fall" a show that only has a 5 episode first season, I've watched the first 3 episodes so far. I don't know that I would say that I love this show, but I certainly like it. Just the sight into the heart of darkness makes me feel less than comfortable.

But the show is well acted with Gillian Anderson who plays Stella Gibson as an ice princess, other than when she has physical desires. Also Jamie Dornan as serial killer Paul Spector, who is terroizing the city of Belfast. Dornan will soon be on movie screens as Christian Grey in the "50 Shades of Grey" nonsense, get ready to hold your nose.

The second show I'm enjoying on Neflix is "Continuum". Another show that won't ever win any Emmys, but it's good enough. It also has the amazingly beautiful Rachel Nichols in it:



Music: Two Mumford and Sons songs that they didn't write. First up the one song that everyone knows, Phillip Phillip's "Home":



Here's the other song that I was thinking of when I was thinking of songs that sound like they could have been written by Mumford & Sons. This is Matt Hires' "Restless Heart



But do you know this song, this is the amazing "Ghost Town" by First Aid Kit:


I heard the above song on my walk this morning and I wondered why women seem to be the ones who sing most of the spurned by a lover songs? It made me think of Adele's "Someone Like You". The next song that played on my iPod was this (warning this version of the song caused goosebumps for me):


themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites