Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Goodbye Rdio: Thanks For The Memories

Hello,

Due to being acquired by Pandora, today December 22nd, 2015, is Rdio's last day. I've loved Rdio, I thought they were the best music listening site. I loved the $5 monthly price point for all the music I could possibly listen to. Ever since Rdio's announcement I've been transitioning to Google Play- which is perfectly fine- although it costs more than twice as much. When Spotify first came out I was a big fan, but it doesn't work great on my old laptop. However my computer never had any issues with Rdio (or Google Play for that matter) so Rdio became my main internet music listening site. I still listen to iTunes a lot of course.

Things I liked about Rdio: 1) the unlimited listening obviously 2) their new releases page 3) the many great recommendations they made 4) how user friendly it is 5) as long as the internet was up, I never had to worry about it being available. 6) I also loved how it was a fully functioning site until it's end.

Rdio's website is stating "Goodbye…. for now." Well for one, I hope they do come back. Pandora is okay, and hopefully will become a lot better with Rdio's help, but I don't think it will ever become as good as Rdio. Thanks again Rdio for the memories and the great listening experience.

The last CD I listened to on Rdio was Judith Hill's "Red Hook Summer"- which I only listened to as they didn't have Hill's "Back In Time" available. But no one else seems to have that available either. From what I could hear on Google Play, "Back In Time" seems to be a modern funk classic. It's very Princeish, she sounds like Prince a bit in fact. That's logical as the CD was produced by Prince. Review forthcoming on a different blog entry.

CD's that I discovered because of Rdio:

1) After writing a blog about Fiction Plane, and they not having any new music for awhile, I thought they were done releasing new music. But Rdio knew that I had listened to their music previously, so they let me know that Fiction Plane had released "Mondo Lumina".

2) I no longer listen to a lot of radio- too much DJ blabber and way too many damn commercials- but I do miss out hearing about cool new bands or even bands that have been around for awhile that I've never heard of. I was aware of In This Moment- and have blogged about them previously- but thanks Rdio for letting me know about their new greatest hits CD "Rise of The Blood Legion: The Best of (Chapter One)". It had been out since May 5th, 2015 and I hadn't even been aware of it's existence until just a few days ago. I found out about it and was able to listen to it on Rdio.

Now there have been so many CD's/ musicians I've listened to on Rdio that's it hard to remember what I knew about before or went to Rdio to listen to. Below is a representative selection of CDs that I have listened to on Rdio over the last couple of years (a partial list):

1) INXS "Live at Wembley Stadium"
2) INXS "Switch"
3) Dead Sara "Pleasure To Meet You"
Another CD I discovered probably due to Rdio: 4) Franciesca Battestelli's "Christmas"
5) Mister Wives "Our Own House"
6) Queen's "Forever"
7) Seal's "Human Being"
8) Blondie's "Real Real Blondie"
9) Breaking Benjamin's "Shallow Bay: The Best of Breaking Benjamin"
10) Jess Glynne's "I Cry When I Laugh" (An amazing CD)
11) ELO's "Live"
12) Hollywood Vampires' self-titled CD
13) Run-DMC's "Tougher Than Leather"
14) The Scorpions "Return To Forever":
15) The Bohicas "The Making Of"
16) The "Hamilton" Original Broadway Soundtrack
17) Duran Duran "Paper Gods"
18) Delta Rae's "After It All"
19) The "Paper Towns" Soundtrack
20) Elle King's "Love Stuff"
21) The Raskins' self-titled debut

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites