Friday, December 4, 2015

Songs On themusicaddict's Radar Featuring The Music of Scott Weiland, 1967-2015

Hello,

Wow, this week has been a week of loss. First the senseless massacre in San Bernadino and now the death of Scott Weiland in Minnesota. At least he died in his sleep, which is the best you can hope for according to a Kenny Rogers song. Like Weiland, I am 48, and it's always a bit disconcerting when someone my age or younger dies. From the outside Weiland seemed to be a bit of a jerk to deal with, but he was a great singer. Of course that's why he was able to always land on his feet. He and his band mates created some truly great music. His solo stuff was meh, but I always loved the often mocked Stone Temple Pilots. I never understood why they were mocked, they just rocked. I also like a few of Velvet Revolver's songs. Earlier this year I profiled his new band, Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts. There are some great songs on that CD as well. R.I.P. Scott

First up a song I hadn't heard of until today, The Magnificent Bastards "Mockingbird Girl". (Thanks Rolling Stone for bringing this tasty rock nugget to my attention.) Weiland sings on this outstanding rock song, which comes from the movie "Tank Girl". I plan on checking this soundtrack out later. Anyway here's "Mockingbird Girl":


I'm not saying that Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts are the greatest band ever. However they had a good thing going and it seemed like they had a lot of potential. Here's a couple of great songs from their CD "Blaster". First up "White Lightning":


"Youth Quake":


A three play from Velvet Revolver "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" (A great cover of the ELO song.):


"Illegal I Song":


"The Last Fight":


Not their most rocking song, but probably my favorite STP song is "Interstate Love Song". I love the lyrics, how Weiland sings it and how it nails the end of relationships so perfectly. This song is probably Weiland's best moment, a moment of genius.


"Interstate Love Song" (acoustic):



This is kind of cool Joss Stone Temple Pilots:


"Wicked Garden":



"Plush":



"Dead and Bloated":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites