Thursday, September 8, 2016

If You Can't Volbeat 'Em, Join 'Em: Volbeat Arrives in Salt Lake Concert Review

Hello,

It's a rock and roll weekend, tonight I'm going to go see Starship!!

I went and saw Volbeat and Killswitch Engage in concert with my rock concert girlfriend Friday night, September 9th, 2016. We caught the last couple of songs of the band Black Wizard. They were most notable for the lead singer saying "we have shirts for sale, just saying." Not surprisingly no one rushed off to buy a shirt.

The middle band was Killswitch Engage, they are one of these screamo bands. It seems being loud is the most important thing to them. Not being good, not being understood, not having any melody whatsoever. I was glad when they stopped playing between songs, so that I could tell that they moved on to a new "song". The highlight of the night was when they played a pretty solid cover of Dio's "Holy Diver" and they should have stopped there. However they played one more song that sounded the same and the lame as the rest of their other non-Dio songs:


They aren't the worst band ever, but I don't ever need to see Killswitch Engage again.

I'm familiar with them, but not their biggest fan. Although I'm not a hater either. I like their music, if a lot of it does sound too similar. Although on their new CD they expand their sound for the better. I'm writing this blog for those who'd like to know more about Volbeat and for me to be more familiar with their music. Here's the songs they played in their concert according to the latest setlist I can find. This is the setlist from their September 5th, 2016 concert in Seattle, according to setlist.fm.

Again as I said above, I'm familiar with Volbeat. I know most of their songs, but don't know all the ins and outs of their songs. Also I usually write down the setlist as the concert goes on, but was unable to do so last night. I brought pens with me, but I wasn't allowed to bring them in as I could use them as "a weapon". I get it, but still that seems a bit ridiculous. Other than church, a rock concert is one of the most mellow places a person can go. People are just there to have a good time and last night proved no different. People talked amiably and had a great time, the only use for a pen was to  write with it.

As far as I could tell this setlist is the same as it was at last night's concert. So how was Volbeat in concert, it was pretty good. It would have been better if I'd known there songs a bit more. But as soon as they took the stage, they were a welcome change from Killswitch Engage. They played actual melodies. Although a lot of their songs do sound alike, I could usually tell when they switched from one song to another. I would have loved if they had played this song:


But overall Volbeat was pretty good. However my feet just aren't meant to stand on concrete for hours on end any more. It would have been nice to have a chair to sit down in occasionally. Also I understand why they have 3 bands in one night, but it doesn't usually help the concert experience. I'm going to go see Starship tonight, they are the only band playing. 

Highlights for Volbeat include the musicianship of their very good band. Michael Poulsen is an able lead singer. He seemed to be enjoying himself and wanting the audience to enjoy themselves as well. I loved their bearded guitarist, he just stands on the side of the stage playing. He just seems to be a mellow and laid back guy. The drummer and the bassist are also very good. 

If you get a chance to go see Volbeat, take it. However if you can skip any opening acts, then that's even better. 

1) "The Devil's Bleeding Crown":


2) "Heaven Nor Hell/ A Warrior's Call/ I Only Want To Be With You":


3) "Sad Man's Tongue":


4) "Lola Montez":


5) "The Gates Of Babylon":


6) "Slaytan":


7) "Dead But Rising":


8) "16 Dollars":



9) "For Evigt":



10) "Hallelujah Goat":



11) "Maybellene I Hofteholder":



12) "Goodbye Forever":



13) "The Mirror and the Ripper":



Encore

14) "Black Rose":



15) Doc Holliday":



16) "Seal The Deal And Let's Boogie":



17) "Still Counting":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites