Tuesday, April 17, 2018

(Finished February 23rd, 2019) Pop and Rock Songs: Shakespeare In Pop Culture, Part 2

Hello,

These are songs that have some Shakespeare related theme to them. On my morning walk the other day I heard this song on my iPod and that made me wonder how many songs with a Shakespeare theme are there.

This mention about Romeo and Juliet, "Oh there ain't no love no, Montagues or Capulets". Arctic Monkeys "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor":



Thanks to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4nwSNRbP6DhyV79KgT94LTp/pop-goes-shakespeare-the-bard-in-modern-music for these suggestions below. These are the best of the themed songs.

431 million views, that's crazy. I have to admit this is one of my favorite of Taylor's songs. It features the line "Stay away from Juliet" and mentions Romeo multiple times. I can't remember where, but someone noted that Taylor's story ends much happier than "Romeo and Juliet".
Taylor Swift "Love Story":



Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet":



This song's title comes from "Julius Caesar". Iron Maiden "The Evil That Men Do":



According to bbc.co.uk this suggests both "King Lear" and "MacBeth". A key lyric: "All the wants you waste, all the things you've chased, then it all crashes down, and you break your crown."  "King Nothing":



From a sonnet that features the line "My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun". "Sister Moon":



"All the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players..." Rush "Limelight":



Spandau Ballet "Through The Barricades":



Other Shakespeare themed songs that I came across on my own or discovered in my research.

Steve Forbert "Romeo's Tune":



Includes the line "Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity." Blue Oyster Cult "Don't Fear The Reaper":



We The Kings "Check Yes Juliet":



This is very tenuous, but this song is from the movie "Romeo and Juliet". It also happens to be an amazing song. Cardigans "Lovefool":



Peggy Lee "Fever":


"Romeo loved Juliet
Juliet, she felt the same
When he put his arms around her
He said Julie baby, you're my flame
Thou givest fever"

Then Billie Jo Armstrong wrote 8 songs for a play called "These Paper Bullets", which is a line from the Shakespeare play "Much Ado About Nothing". It came from this line "Shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humour?"



 Of the two I prefer this song. These Paper Bullets "Keeps Me Satisfied":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites