Saturday, April 21, 2018

(Finished April 21st, 2018) What Is A Blotto? And Why That Name?

Hello,

About 3 weeks ago I wrote a blog about the videos shown on the first day of MTV. One of the most obscure bands was a band named Blotto. Just how did they get their name? There doesn't seem to be a consensus. However according to https://www.coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?34189-How-did-bands-get-their-names Blotto is the name of the dog in the 1930's novel "Nightlife of the Gods". Also Blotto is slang for being completely drunk. Their video shown on MTV was "I Wanna Be A Lifeguard".

FromWikipedia.org:

"Blotto was rock band from Albany, New York, known for mixing music and humor. They formed in 1978 out of the Star Spangled Washboard Band, "posthippie" comedy jugband. Blotto's music combine new wave and soul/R&B, but with comedic themes."

The main members of Blotto over the years.

Group members went by pseudonyms on their recordings and in performance. The members of the classic lineup were:
  • Bowtie Blotto (guitar, vocals). Born 1948 in DetroitMichigan.
  • Broadway Blotto (guitar, vocals). Born 1950 in the BronxNew York.
  • Keith "Cheese Blotto" Stephenson (bass guitar) 1956–1999.
  • Lee Harvey Blotto (drums). Born June 13, 1955 in Batavia, New York.
  • Sergeant Blotto ("Sarge") (vocals, percussion; Director, Blotto Graphic Arts Dept.) Main singer.
  • Blanche Blotto (keyboards, vocals; 1978-1980). Born 1955 in Schenectady, New York.

Current members[edit]

  • Hammerhead Blotto (keyboards; 1988–present).
  • Clyde Blotto (bass; 2000–present).
  • Bert Blotto (Webmaster for Blotto.net, Merch Guy, Keeper Of All Things Blotto-present).

Anyway due to "I Wanna Be A Lifeguard" I wanted to listen to some of their other music. I listened to the samples of Blotto's "Collected Works" on iTunes. I liked it so much that I listened to the full CD on Google Play. I liked that so much that I decided to blog about their best songs. Yes, I do realize many of these songs are covers. However I'm guessing a lot of these songs won't have videos available.

"I Wanna Be A Lifeguard":


"Too Much Fun":


"I Quit":


"Metalhead":


"It's Not You":


"My Baby's The Star of A Driver's Ed Movie":


"HSH":


"Occupational Hazard":


"Stop! In The Name of Love":


"Lightning Strikes":



"Jump Start My Heart":



"Go To Your Room":



"Girlfriend":



"Elevator Music":



"Romeo and Juliet":



"Secret Agent Man":



"Look Both Ways":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites