Saturday, January 21, 2023

(Finished January 21st, 2023) Part 1 of The 202 Greatest Songs of 1984 And Counting

Hello,

Since I've been sharing countdowns from 1984 and listening to all those great songs again, I thought I would post a series of blogs with the greatest songs of 1984. To add a little more variety to this blog I'll be posting the original artist singing the song live.

This song takes me back to driving home from work from Safeways when I was 16. I still remember the green truck I drove and the hit and miss radio. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it sorta worked.1) Prince "When Doves Cry":

2) Tina Turner "What's Love Got To Do With It":

3) Kenny Loggins "Footloose":

4) Phil Collins "Against All Odds (Take A Look At Me Now)":

5) Yes "Owner of a Lonely Heart":

6) Ray Parker Jr. "Ghostbusters":

7) Lionel Richie "All Night Long (All Night)":

8) Deniece Williams "Let's Hear It For The Boy":

9) Bruce Springsteen "Dancing In The Dark":

10) Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want To Have Fun":

11) Duran Duran "The Reflex":

12) The Pointer Sisters "Jump For My Love":

I'm not sure why these videos are so poorly recorded. There's not really a great live video available of Van Halen during the mid 80s. 13) Van Halen "Jump":

One of the sexiest songs of the 80s. 14) Laura Branigan "Self Control":

Some songs are very much a song of their time and some songs are quite simply timeless. This and the rest of the songs from "Purple Rain" are timeless. Thanks to MTV for exposing a white teenager in Utah to the magic of Prince. 15) Prince "Let's Go Crazy":


I just don't think this mostly older, mostly white crowd even knows what The Time or Morris Day are. See how fresh this song sounded in 2017. If this song had been released in 2017 it would have been the best song released that year. Yet in 1984 it was one of many amazing songs. Long live Prince and some of the greatest music ever. Kudos to The Time, Bruno Mars and their amazing bands for their amazing Grammy performances. The Time/ Bruno Mars with "Jungle Love"/ "The Bird" and "Let's Go Crazy":


16) Hall & Oates "Say It Isn't So":


I quite simply love, love, love The Thompson Twins. 17) The Thompson Twins "Hold Me Now":

themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites