Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day Weekend leftover blahs

Hello,

It's a slow time of the year in the entertainment world. A quick personal note, yesterday I found a job. Good news: I found a job. Bad News: It only pays $8 a hour and it is not the safest environment in the world. Unfortunately I can't worry about those two things as I have a family to support. Of course I will be looking for another job but at least this job will bring in some money. I will be making $8 a hour more than hanging out at my parent's house is the way I look at it.

Unfortunately not too much news. In the upcoming Rolling Stone, Chris Rock, Tina Fey and David Letterman are all on the cover. It includes a big story about one of the funniest men alive, David Letterman. (Also Rolling Stone has what they are claiming is the first review of Metallica's "Death Magnetic".) Last night, thanks to Comcast On Demand, I watched three episodes of "Mad Men". This AMC original series has won a couple of Emmys and received a lot of praise. It is an okay TV show but a bit overpraised. I was surprised by how each episode is self contained. The characters are the same but the storyline does not continue from show to show. It is a lot better than most things on TV right now though.

Vanity Fair magazine has a few free MP3's each month. This month they have three really excellent tracks that I would reccomend you add to your collection. The section you are looking for is one-third of the way down the vanityfair.com main page. There is a link that says Lisa Robinson's "Hot Tracks". The three best of the six songs are 1) "The Show"- Lenka 2&3) "Whatever It Takes" and "St. Isabelle"- The Nightwatchman. The Nightwatchman is actually Tom Morello, lead guitarist for both Rage Against The Machine (again) and Audioslave. He calls himself The Nightwatchman when he is doing his solo work. These two songs come from his upcoming CD, "The Fabled City". His first solo CD was surprisingly mellow. He promises this second CD is more rocking. These tracks bear that out.

Also for what it's worth: amazon.com has over 1,000 free MP3's. Before you race over to their site and check it out let me give you a warning. A lot of the free MP3's are by tribute bands, only a few of the songs are from the original artists. There are some songs that are worth getting but it will require some work from you.

I hope I have some more exciting information tomorrow. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites