Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Billy Ocean, Metallica

Hello,

I bet you never thought you would see both of those names in the same title. They only have two things in common that I can see. One, they both have made some great music, and they both were fantastic in the 80's. The 80's, also known as easily the best decade for music. I was thinking about this last night at work as I need to use my mind for something. In the 80's we had all that great new wave music, we also had all that great funk music. Some enduring bands started then like U2, R.E.M. and Motley Crue. Then near the end of the 80's Guns n' Roses burst on to the scence with "Appetite For Destruction". Eighties music is all over the place in ads, on the radio and being ripped off by current musicians. What a great music decade.

Just a random collection of music from that decade, U2's "With or Without You", R.E.M's "Stand", The "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack, Bananarama's "Cruel Summer", Paul Hardcastle's "19", Jan Hammer's "Theme from 'Miami Vice'", Herbie Hancock's "Rockit", Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science", Run-DMC's "It's Tricky", Spandau Ballet's "True" etc. etc. etc. I could go on forever. I know I have written about this before but what a great music decade.

First a lot of music news. The reason I mentioned Billy Ocean because I have been listening to his greatest hits a few times the last couple of days. His is a greatest hits collection where every song is either good or great. He has slow beautiful ballads ("There Will Be Sad Songs", "Mystery Lady", and "Love Zone"). He also had uplifting, dance songs ("Caribbean Queen", "Loverboy" and "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car"). So that CD encapsulate a lot of great things about 80's music. I also have been listening to the Stevie Nicks greatest hits CD and she has a lot of great songs on it as well. However she had added a bunch of crappy songs on it, overall it kills the CD as an entity. Stevie, sometimes less is more. However the most padded greatest hits CD is by the Motels. Their "Essential Collection" has 15 songs on it, but only 4 or 5 of them are good.

Some sad news the keyboardist for Pink Floyd, Richard Wright, passed away a couple of days ago. He was a co-founder of Pink Floyd along with Roger Waters, Nick Mason, and Syd Barrett. His most famous co-writing credit is "Us and Them", one of the most relaxing and beautiful songs of all-time. That is one of the key songs on "Dark Side of the Moon". Unfortunately Syd Barrett died a couple of years ago as well, after battling mental illness. So that leaves us with only two original living members of Pink Floyd. Both Roger Waters and David Gilmour, who joined later, are still making music but not together.

"American Idol" news: auditions were going on in Salt Lake Tuesday and Wednesday from the original 6,000 people that showed up. These hopefuls were singing in front of producers. The three idiots, Randy, Paula and Simon, will be in SLC Thursday and Friday. They will be with new judge Kara D. If the contestants make it through them they will get the golden ticket and invited to Hollywood. I am looking forward to Season 8 of "AI", I just wish they would dump Randy and Paula before starting it. Has Randy ever said something original and has Paula ever said something that is intelligient? Please Randy and Paula go away.

We now know when the Season 7 David's first CD's will be out. David Archuletta's first CD will be out on November 11th and Mr. Cook's CD will be out on November 18. EW has a poll currently running asking whose CD will you buy. Currently 51% say they will buy Mr. Cook's CD and 39% say they will buy little David's CD. 9% will buy neither and 7% will buy both. I still haven't heard any music off David Cook's CD, the first single from little David's CD was surprisingly good. That song, "Crush", is currently #10 on the iTunes Top 100 songs.

I don't plan on picking on little David anymore, but he is not truly indictitive of the singing talent of people from Salt Lake City and surrounding cities. The Mormon community places a strong emphasis on music. Many kids grow up singing, playing instruments and dancing. I have heard many other people that sing a lot better than little David from the Salt Lake City area. Don't be surprised if a few people from Salt Lake City break through into Season 8's Top 24. From last season two of the Top Six contestants were Mormons, David Archuletta and Brooke White. Although White is from Arizona.

Along with those two CD releases, the most attractive of the "Idol" contestants released a CD yesterday, that would be Kristy Lee Cook. The CD is titled "Why Wait" and the cover picture is her sitting on a horse. I wonder if it is that barrel horse that we heard so much about last season. I haven't had a chance to listen to it. The next new CD I plan on listening to is the new CD by Metallica. Speaking of Metallica they are on the next cover of Rolling Stone promoting "Death Magnetic".

Other significant CD releases. "Funhouse" by Pink will be released on October 28th. The lead single off that CD is "So What" which is a angry song directed at former husband Carey Hart. So in the video who plays Carey Hart, Carey Hart does. I thought that was interesting. "So What" is currently #1 on the iTunes Top 100 list. Also on October 28th Bloc Party's new CD comes out. A CD I am looking forward to is Taylor Swift's second CD which will be released on November 11th. The lead single is "Love Song", which currently is #2 on the iTunes Top 100. I have already mentioned the release dates of the David's CD's. There has been no official word about the long gestating "Chinese Democracy". The most realistic date for that CD is "when hell freezes over".

Here's a quick review of two Comcast On Demand movies I have seen recently. I saw "Hart's War" starring Colin Farrel and Bruce Willis. It's sort of a disappointing movie. A movie that isn't that old but it is aging fast. I was pleasantly surprised to see that I could watch "No Country For Old Men" starring Tommy Lee Jones. Javier Bardem stars in the movie, he plays the bad guy with a very demented intensity. I was left wondering what the ending meant though. I highly reccomend Cormac McCarthy's book of the same name. That is a very good kick butt novel. He writes dreary novels but he is a great writer. I also reccomend to read his "The Road" which also has been made into a movie. It will be out this winter. Rarely the movies are as good as the book.

I was able to borrow "Watch You Bleed" by Stephen Davis today. I'm going to hopefully start reading it today. It is written by the great rock writer, Stephen Davis. Also Oprah Winfrey is announcing her new book selection this Friday. I watched her preview of it on her website and she has me excited. I am just hoping it is not a lump of crap like that lame Eckhart Tolle book she has been blathering on about the last too many months. Tolle is one of these new agey philosphers that pop up for awhile before fading into obscurity. I hope he fades soon and I wish people would stop falling for this nonsense over and over again.

I will be back Friday. Have a great day, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites