Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Taylor Dayne, Thompson Twins

Hello,

I hope you had a fantastic Labor Day weekend. I had a pretty good one. I worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday as a Coke merchandiser. They are the ones that keep the shelves stocked with all the Coke products- from pop to Dasani water. That was the hardest I have worked in quite a long time and my body is still feeling the effects. Also I am seperated from my wife and I was able to spend time with all four of my kids over the weekend. So even though they can be a little out-of-control it was very fun. My youngest boy Dylan always makes me feel good, he likes to hug and kiss me. He also tells me he "lugs" me. We played Super Mario Brothers, read books and enjoyed my Mother's fantastic cooking. So we had a great time. I am living with my parents while my wife and I are struggling through this seperation.

Enough about me, now on to the music. Yesterday I rediscovered the great 80's music of Taylor Dayne. I had forgotten how good she was. Here are some of the titles of her several mid-80's classics. They include "Don't Rush Me", "Tell It To My Heart", "I'll Be Your Shelter", "Love Will Lead You Back", "With Every Beat of My Heart" and "Heart of Stone". So if you haven't heard any of these songs for awhile it is time to check her out again.

Also another one of my favorite 80's bands is the Thompson Twins. Some of their several great songs include "The Gap", "Lies", "In The Name of Love", "Love On Your Side", "Hold Me Know", "Doctor, Doctor", "You Take Me Up" and "King For A Day". Those are 8 great songs. What a great band!

Another music note, you can listen to all of Brian Wilson's new CD "That Lucky Old Son" at usatoday.com. Click on the life section and you will see it. Also this weekend marked the beginning of college football season. My mighty Cougs crushed Univerity of Northern Iowa. My alma mater the University of Utah beat Michigan in Michigan's stadium 25-23. My other favorite team USC flew out to Virginia to crush the Cavaliers 52-7. Anyway the reason I bring this up is because the new AC/DC song was playing last night a lot during the UCLA-Tennessee game. "Rock and Roll Train" playing during a college football game seems appropriate. It is actually quite a good song. I am looking forward to when their new CD comes out on October 20th. I have been reading a history of AC/DC. It's called AC/DC "Maximum Rock & Roll". It's quite a good and enjoyable book. It is fun to follow a band from their roots to being superstars and then whatever happens after that. I am looking forward to the new Guns n' Roses biography "Bleed Like Me". It is already out in bookstores, but I am waiting on a copy from the library.

Now on to a couple of serious matters. Please let's leave Sarah Palin and her family alone. If you don't know, she is John McCain's Vice Presidential candidate. Ever since it has been announced she will be McCain's running mate, all these details have come out about her life. I am not going to discuss any of the allegations or rumors. Let's just leave her and her family alone. Let's concentrate on her political skills and views, nothing else. In an extreme touch of class, Obama has called her family off limits in terms of the Presidential race.

Also I was glad to hear that Hurricane Gustuv turned out to be rather wimpy once it landed in America. I am glad that the lessons of Hurricane Katrina seemed to have been followed fairly well. It seems the mandatory evuacuation went well. Now please completely fix and make safe all the levees. (The only time I want to be thinking about "When The Levees Break" is when I am listening to the excellent Led Zeppelin song.) Even though it looks like the worst of it has passed, let's keep New Orleans and the surrounding area in our prayers until everyone has returned home safely. Also I was glad to see that the New Orleans Saints will go on with their normal home game Sunday. To me that is a sign of the toughness and perserverance of the area.

Thanks for reading, I should be back tomorrow. themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites