Thursday, December 11, 2008

"Chinese Democracy" review

Hello,

Here is my review of Guns n' Roses long delayed 6th CD "Chinese Democracy". I am going to review track by track. I have listened to this CD about 7 or 8 times at least in my car as I am driving around. I also am listening to it now as I write this.

1) "Chinese Democracy" (4:43) This was the first single off the CD. The first song on the CD is this mysterious song that talks about the Falun Gong among other things. After 1:25 of music here comes Axl Rose's classic screech. I have no idea what this song is talking about. But it's great rock and roll so who cares? It does not have to make sense. I like this song quite a bit, one of the more solid tracks on the CD.

2) "Shackler's Revenge" (3:37) The song that was introduced in "Guitar Hero 3", before the release of "Chinese Democracy". Axl Rose is in great voice on this song and he is pissed off. This is a great kiss off song to a former significant other. He sings "I don't believe you" over and over again.

3) "Better" (4:59) This is probably my favorite track on the whole CD. Another song appropriate for a former significant other. He sings this song like he means. "Now I know you better, you know I know better". This is just a great pop/rock song.

4) "Street of Dreams" (4:47) A great, great song. This is one of those heavy metal ballad songs. This has sort of a "November Rain" feel to it.

5) "If The World" (4:54) The song shown over the end credits of "Body Of Lies". This is probably the highlight of the movie. No I haven't seen it, but the previews made the movie look like a suckfest. Another heavy ballad song and another good song. So far his 14 years of work on this CD has paid off. These first 5 these songs are excellent. Rose's relationship problems have turned into great music.

6) "There Was A Time" (6:41) The third straight ballad and another great song.

7) "Catcher In The Rye" (5:53) A mid-tempo rocker and another great song.

8) "Scraped" (3:31) "Don't try to stop us now" leads off this song. Later Rose sings "Don't try to stop us now, because I just won't let you". Another mellow rocker. Another great song, so far I have liked all 8 songs.

9) "Riad N' The Beduoins" (4:10) Back to the truly rocking songs. Another vicious and angry song.

10) "Sorry" (6:15) Back to the angry ballads. Axl sings "You think it's me and not you" and"I'm not sorry for you, not sorry for me". This is a very angry song on a very angry CD.

11) "I.R.S." (4:29) Another angry rock song.

12) "Madagascar" (5:38) Another rocking ballad. This song is more sad than angry as Axl sings "I can't find my way back anymore."

13) "This I Love" (5:34) "There is a special light, still shining bright". The sweetest and most romantic song on this CD. It sounds like a song to a long lost love.

14) "Prostitute" "6:16" Another angry mid-tempo rocker.

So overall on a scale of 5 Stars I have this CD 4 stars overall. Is it "Appetite For Destruction"? No! But is it "The Spaghetti Incident"? Thank goodness no! I would put this CD in the same quality level as the "Use Your Illusion" CD's. That being very, very good but probably not classics. Obviously it will take a few more years to determine if this CD is a classic.

It is not "Appetite For Destruction", but I don't know if a CD that good will ever be made again. "Destruction" was almost an instant classic. Some of the greatest songs ever written are on that CD, with one of the all-time best songs, "Mr. Brownstone". (In fact writing this blog, made me go and listen to it again. I also immeadiately added it to my iPod.) I definitely would reccomend you buy this CD. Even in this terrible economy it is worthy of your hard earned money. (One disclaimer, admittedly I am a huge Guns n' Roses fan, no matter who is in the band.)

Also the musicianship of this CD is fantastic. There is a lot of great guitar playing and Axl's voice is in tip top shape. Also the backup vocals are a great addition in many songs.

Just a few other notes. Video of the Day. Not so much a music video, but a clip of System of A Down's Serj Tankian saying that Rihanna's "Umbrella" is a guilty pleasure. I find that very amusing. A book to avoid, Bobby Brown had a new biography released a couple of days ago. Skip it at all costs. Let's let this piece of crap fade into his rightful obscurity. Brad Pitt is the cover boy of the year end issue of Rolling Stone. Also included in that issue is Rolling Stone's Top 100 singles and Top 50 albums.

Pearl Jam is going to release to release a "massive reissue of 'Ten'". (Thanks to Rolling Stone.) There are going to be four different packages, all of them will include two copies of "Ten". One CD will be the original mix of "Ten" and one CD will be "remixed by longtime PJ producer Brendan O'Brien". This will be coming out in March, so start saving your money now.

Last not least while surfing one of my new favorite websites, mtvmusic.com, the other day I stumbled across the video for They Might Be Giants' "Birdhouse In Your Soul". I was reminded how great of a song this is. Also the CD this song comes from, "Flood", is one of the best CD's of the 90's.

Songs that are rockin' my iPod. 1) "Losing Me"- Diego A great song I discovered through the weekly iTunes free songs. 2) "I Believe In A Thing"- The Darkness 3) "All Night Long (All Night)"- Lionel Richie 4) "Vogue"- Madonna I was listening to this song in the cooler at my job last night and the song starts off "What are you looking at?" and that startled me a bit. 5) "Over The Hills and Far Away"- The Mighty Zepp 6) "Simply Irrestible"- Robert Palmer 7) "I Won't Hold You Back"- Toto One of the truly great songs from the 80's. 8) "Changes"- 3 Doors Down 9) "Ramble On"- The all powerful Led Zeppelin 10) "Lies"- The Thompson Twins 11) "Dangerous"- Katherine McPhee When I was listening to this last night, at first I thought it was a Rihanna song. That is a great compliment as I love Rihanna. 12) "Tangerine"- The Greatest Band Ever 13) "Long View"- Green Day 14) "Hell or High Water"- Tinsley Ellis 15) "Love Is A Contact Sport"- The great Whitney Houston 16) "Xanadu"- Olivia Newton-John and ELO I am almost a little embarrassed I listen to this song, but it is a great song. 17) "Number One Camera"- Nina Gordon 18) "Ur So Gay"- Katy Perry 19) "Daisy"- Halfway To Hazard One of the best country songs of this milennium. 20) "Suzie"- Boy Kill Boy

One final personal note, themusicaddict does not have a great job now. If any of you know of good jobs in the Salt Lake Valley, I would appreciate a heads up. We are so poor we are looking into bankruptcy now. Please just keep your eyes open.

On that down note, have a great weekend. I should be back tomorrow, themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites