Friday, December 5, 2008

"American Idol", Rolling Stone's Top 100 Singers

Hello,

I am back as promised. There's a lot going on. Season 8 of "American Idol" is starting in a little over a month and as always I am very excited. Michael Slezak has some interesting rumors on ew.com. He is Entertainment Weekly's main writer on all things "Idol". He also films the videos where they review some of the highlights from previous shows. They had some very funny pieces last season. I am not going to tell you all the rumors, but I will tell you where you can go. One website is fellow blogger, mjsbigblog.com. There is also the old stand by, votefortheworst.com, who are releasing details from Hollywood week. That apparantally is going on now. One little thing an Osmond tried out but apparantally he is not going to make it through Hollywood week. That's good because the Osmond family has brought enough grief to Utah already :) Apparantally "CSI" parodied votefortheworst.com last night. Go to their site to see it.

Also in my last blog I wondered why Jason Castro had finished ahead of Carly Smithson in "AI" Season Seven. A reader sent me a youtube.com video of Jason Castro singing "Hallelujah" last season and said "that's why". I have to admit that was an incredible performance, but that is when he peaked. Consistently week to week Smithson was much better. She has a much better and bigger voice. That woman can really sing. I also have to admit I had never heard of "Hallelujah" until Castro sang it. I downloaded his version as soon as I could. I listened to it a couple of times today.

As you have probably figured out I don't have many readers. So if you make a comment on one of my blog entries I am probably going to respond. Please don't let that discourage you. We may disagree but I will never attack you. In fact I love comments and would love to open a dialogue with other music lovers. I would love to hear what music you are listening to and hear your reccomendations. I am always interested in hearing about great bands and great songs that I have missed.

Here is the list of Rolling Stone Top 10 singers and my opinion.
1) Aretha Franklin Definitely a great singer, but I think #1 is a little high. Her version of "Respect" really kicks butt, I think that is what propels her so high.
2) Ray Charles: I think he is too high as well.
3) Elvis Presley: I would agree with his place. He certainly could sing.
4) Sam Cooke: He is too obscure.
5) John Lennon: He is an okay singer, but I think he is way too high. Also I am not a big Beatles fan.
6) Marvin Gaye: He had his moments but again way too high.
7) Bob Dylan: He wouldn't even make my top 1000 list. I know he is much loved, but the man can't sing. He has been living on his reputation for too long.
8) Otis Redding" He does have a very good voice, and "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" is easily one of the best songs of all-time. However he is too high as well.
9) Stevie Wonder: A great singer, songwriter and performer. I would say he is a little high, but pretty close to where he should be. See my list below.
10) James Brown: The King of Soul, what else needs to be said. I would probably move him up as well. Who can hear "I Feel Good" and not be amazed.

Here are some singers who did not get their proper due. #15 Robert Plant: In my opinion easily the greatest singer of all-time. What a powerful voice. He can sing any genre of music. He can sing the hardest rocking song, a slow grinding blues song and the most delicate ballad. Check out his work with Led Zeppelin, Allison Krauss and The Honeydrippers. He should be #1. #17 Tina Turner: She should also be higher. Another excellent singer and performer. She made "Proud Mary" the true classic it deserves to be. #18 Freddie Mercury should probably at least be in the Top Ten. I would like to see Dylan or Lennon come close to doing justice to "Bohemian Rhapsody". No way. #19 Bob Marley: I just love Marley, he is the complete package. Check out "Iron, Lion, Zion" and "I Shot The Sheriff". I wish he would have lived longer. #21 Johnny Cash: he should also be much higher. Check out his San Quention performances. Also check out "Ring of Fire", "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "The Man Comes Around".

#34 Whitney Houston: Are you kidding me, she has that beautiful and powerful voice. Who can forget her stirring singing of the National Anthem at the Super Bowl several years ago? Check out "The Greatest Love", "Saving All My Love For You" and "My Name is Not Susan". Other singers rated too low: Jim Morrison (The End" and "Light My Fire", Muddy Waters (almost any of his songs), Christina Aguilera ("Genie in a Bottle"), James Taylor ("Copperline" and "Fire and Rain"), Merle Haggard ("Mama Tried" and "I Think I Will Just Stay Here and Drink") , B.B. King (again almost anything) and Stevie Nicks ("Leather and Lace" and "Edge of Seventeen". Her voice is so warm and homey.)

Here's my Top 16.
1) Robert Plant 2) Elvis Presley 3) Freddie Mercury 4) Whitney Houston 5) Aretha Franklin 6) Tina Turner 7) Jim Morrison 8) Bob Marley 9) Christina Aguilera 10) Muddy Waters 11) B.B. King 12) Stevie Nicks 13) Johnny Cash 14) Stevie Wonder 15) Merle Haggard and 16) James Taylor.

Some other notes of interest. Congratulations to Jordin Sparks. She has been nominated for a Grammy for "No Air" that she sang with Chris Brown. Also she has parted ways with 19 Entertainment. They seem to be very ineffective at promoting these hot artists fresh off "American Idol" success. David Archuletta very smartly didn't sign with them.

Video of the Day is the very cheesy, 80's video "Venus" by Bananarama. It is such an 80's video. Also back in the early 80's there was a band named The Producers. They are a band I liked very much, but I could not find any videos for them. Supposedly this site has every video that MTV ever showed, but they only have two videos for Bananarama? I seem to remember a video for "Cruel, Cruel Summer". I am going to have a second video of the day, since I missed this in my last entry. Again a band that has only two videos, but there must be more. That would be the Knack and "My Sharona". This video is interspliced with scenes from "Reality Bites". Not sure why.

Also the Black Eyed Peas are currently working on their next CD. It is called "The End" and is due in March. I am not a big hip-hop fan but I do love me some Black Eyed Peas. According to Billboard, Guns n' Roses didn't sale the most CD's in "Chinese Democracy" opening week. It was edged out by Kanye West's "808s and Heartbreak", who sold 450,000 copies. Also Taylor Swift's "Fearless" also sold more copies, 267,000. Guns n' Roses "Chinese Democracy" came in at #3 with 261,000 copies sold. It just barely edged out Beyonce's "I Am...Sasha Fierce", which sold 257,000 copies.

That is is for now, I will be back next time with questions why Darius Rucker needs to have a white couple in his video for "Don't Think I Don't Think About That". Also coming soon a review of "Chinese Democracy". I am leaning towards a mixed review now.

Have a great weekend and enjoy some excellent college football this weekend. Definitely catch the Oklahoma-Missouri game. Oklahoma is going to kill them but they are very fun to watch, especially on the offensive side of the ball. BCS Selection Sunday is this Sunday. themusicaddict, like Barack Obama, supports a college football playoff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You made the classic mistake of assuming that "Greatest" singer has anything to do with vocal quality. You have to look at:

* Impact on Society
* Political Viewpoint
* Marketability
* OK, maybe voice quality here

Of course Dylan has a lousy voice, but that doesn't matter since he was the voice of his generation.

Actually he only has a lousy singing voice. I heard an interview with him and he actually had a very nice speaking voice. I think he might be the Bizarro-Jim Nabors.

Favorites