Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Marie Digby, Led Zeppelin good music for bad times

Hello,

It is good to be back. After President Obama named Hillary Clinton and Robert Gates to his cabinet, it made me very optimistic. I am so excited for our new President. I am hoping good times are right around the corner, although it does look like 2009 will be bleak.

Well for the bad times, there is always good music. That is what I am here to point out. First off I am going to start off with a music reccomendation. Her name is Marie Digby and I am not sure why she hasn't got any attention. Her CD came out on April 8th, 2008. The name of the CD is "Unfold". She is similar to Katy Perry, but hasn't launched into the stratosphere yet. I would reccomend you go out and get this CD. This CD has a lot of great songs. If you get the CD through amazon.com digital music website, you get an additional song as well. She has a great voice. Also this CD contains her cover of Rihanna's "Umbrella".

Some of the best songs on this CD include, "Better Off Alone", "Fool", "Beauty In Walking Away", "Spell", "Girlfriend" and "Stupid For You".

Also here is one fan's explanation about the greatness of Led Zeppelin 3. There are 10 songs on this CD and 7 of those songs are 5 star songs. There are all sort of songs from hard rockers to mellow music. Here are the songs that makes this CD so good. I am also giving each song my rating. Overall I give this CD 5 stars.

1) "Immigrant Song"(5 stars)- This is probably the most classic song from the CD. It starts off with that immortal Robert Plant howl. (I couldn't think of a better word.) One of the all-time great songs.
2) "Friends" (4 stars) just a great ballad.
3) "Celebration Day" (5 stars), a great rock song.
4) "Since I've Been Loving You"- This is a great blues/ rock song. This song has both Jimmy Page's guitar and Robert Plant's singing prowess on full display. (Robert Plant as only the # 15 singer on Rolling Stone magazines 100 Greatest Singer of All Time. Please!) This song grabs you and makes you pay attention. I love the lyrics as well. Where "Immigrant Song" may be the most popular song on this CD, this is the best song. I also love the slow guitar intro that starts this song.
5) "Out on the Tiles" (5 stars) This is the song that says, "All I need from you is all of your love. All you got to give me all your love".
6) "Gallows Pole" (5 stars) A song that makes me pay attention every time. A great song that starts out slowly, builds up and ends as a full fledged rock song. I also really like the emotion in Plant's voice.
7) "Tangerine" (5 stars) This song proves that Led Zeppelin can both rock and also have great ballads. Although it isn't until Led Zeppelin 4, or ZOSO, that their best ballad makes it's debut. That song being "Going To California".
8) "That's The Way" (4 stars) The ballad that starts off with "I don't know how I''m going to tell you I can't play with you no more." This song starts out as a gentle ballad before rocking near the end of the song. A familiar Zeppelin formula.
9) "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp" (5 stars) A rocking stomper.
10) "Hats Off To (Roy) Harper". (2 stars) This is sort of a throwaway song, every artist is allowed to have a few of those.

Some other quick notes. Was anyone surprised that Alex Rodriguez and Madonna were having a fling? Does anyone care? Happy 27th Birthday Britney Spears. Her new CD is also out today, isn't that special. She is on the cover of the current Rolling Stone magazine and she is not looking as good as she use to. And that song "Womanizer" sucks. Although I do like the video :). Also she will be going on tour soon with the The Pussycat Dolls opening. The early reports is that "Chinese Democracy" sold between 250,000 to 260,000 copies in it's first week. Obviously not the sales that was expected. To add to the shame, "Chinese Democracy" was outsold in England by the Killers new CD. I guess the lesson is 14 years between CDs is too long, no matter how good previous CDs are. Green Day seem to be taking a bit long to make their follow up to "American Idiot". In the meantime they did release that Foxboro Hot Tubs CD though.

According to billboard.com Creed is in the process of finalizing details to go on a reunion tour. From what I remember they had a pretty acrimonious split. Both Scott Stapp and the band members said bad things about the other. Stapp's solo career was almost non-existent and the other three members became Alter Bridge. Not that they did any better as Alter Bridge. What does this mean about Alter Bridge's lead singer possibly singing for the reunited Led Zeppelin? I don't know but I wish I did. Seriously though, especially in these tough economic times, is anyone really longing for a Creed reunion?

Songs rocking my iPod: 1) "Oops I Did It Again"- Britney Spears I don't know why but I really like this song. This is one of very few Spears songs I'll allow on my iTunes music library. 2) "U + Ur Hand"- Pink A great, great song that I hope I am never on the wrong end of. 3) "Ex-Girlfriend" Evidence that No Doubt is better than Gwen Stefani's solo career. I really love this song. 4) "Banquet" (Dance Mix) a great song from a great band that has gone a little under the radar a bit. 5) "It's A Hit"- Rilo Kiley 6) "Rock N Roll Band"- Boston An underappreciated Boston classic. 7) "Hunger Strike"- Temple of the Dog Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell singing together. 8) "Five To One"- The Doors 9) "Take Me With U"- Prince One of the many great songs from the best soundtrack of all-time, "Purple Rain". 10) "Soulfire"- 12 Stones. Where have they gone, their first CD is fantastic. 11) "Crazy On You"- Carly Smithson sung this on American Idol. Again why didn't she finish higher than 6th place for Season 7? Brooke White, Jason Castro and David Archuletta all did better than her? Really? Damn those pre-teens. 12) "Black Diamond" Pearl Jam with Ace Frehley This song can be found on the Madison Square Garden Bootleg #2 that can be purchased at pearljam.com. 13) "Rumors In The Air"- Night Ranger. Another underappreciated rocker. 14) "I Just Shot John Lennon"- Cranberries A band that should reunite. 15) "I Heard A Rumor"- Bananarama One of the 80's best songs. 16) "But It's Better If You Do"- Panic At The Disco. From their first CD, "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out". One of the best CD's of this milennium so far.

I should be back Friday, themusicaddict

1 comment:

mauz said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMKOJw3cu30

That's why :)

Favorites