Tuesday, January 21, 2014

themusicaddict's Greatest CDs of All-Time: My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade"

Hello,

This is one in my continuing series of blogs about the greatest CDs of all-time. Most of the previous CDs I profiled were released in the 80s. But I know that good music is still being released today, it just takes more effort to find it. Sadly I didn't discover this band until they were splintering.

As usual with my luck this is a band that broke up, just as I was learning to appreciate them. Just a little while after I truly gained an appreciation for My Chemical Romance they broke up. But thankfully they left behind a lot of great music. In my opinion "The Black Parade" is by far their best CD. It's also a rarity in this era in being a concept album. Not only that but a damn good concept album. I wouldn't quite compare it to "The Wall", but it's quite good. I also quite like "Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys".

My Chemical Romance was a rock band from 2001 to March 22nd, 2013. For the recording of this CD the band consisted of singer Gerard Way with Bob Bryar, Mikey Way, Frank Iero and Ray Toro.

The CD is clearly about a patient's battle with cancer. Clearly this band is close to someone who fought a battle with cancer. The lyrics are so insightful and give class to the patient and respect to cancer. Although cancer is a brutal disease, it's something that needs to be respected. Eventually some day someone will find a way to kick it's ass. This would be the perfect CD to battle cancer or any other battle with a life threatening disease. I wouldn't plan to go down easily and would want a sneering masterpiece to keep my spirits up.

At the end of 2012 and beginning of 2013 My Chemical Romance released 10 previously unreleased songs recorded in 2009, before the release of "Danger Days". Two of these songs were released each month for 5 months. Later those 10 songs were compiled and titled "Conventional Weapons". All 10 songs are available to listen to for free on Spotify and those songs are just as good as the rest of their work. They truly are one of the best bands of the last two decades.

All 10 songs from "Conventional Weapons":



And then because their label hasn't made enough money off of My Chemical Romance, the inevitable Greatest Hits CD, " May Death Never Stop You: The Greatest Hits 2001-2013" on March 25th, 2013. The CD/ download consists of 19 songs, including 4 unreleased songs. One of those songs is "Skylines and Turnstiles" which allegedly is the first song they wrote. It's a song about 9/11. Don't tell their label but this is a CD that I probably will add to my collection. (Thanks to Wikipedia for biographical details.)

Here's the full CD with the hidden song and 3 bonus tracks:



My Chemical Romance live in Mexico City (full concert):



Here's another My Chemical Romance concert. This is The Black Parade Is Dead- which is essentially the live versions of all the songs on The Black Parade.



1) "The End":



2) "Dead!":



3) "This Is How I Disappear":



4) "The Sharpest Lives" (Listening to this CD again, I realize how much it truly rocks!) :



5) "Welcome to The Black Parade":



6) "I Don't Love You":



"I Don't Love You" (with lyrics):



7) "House of Wolves":



8) "Cancer" ("Cause the hardest part of this is leaving you") :



9) "Mama":



"Mama" (Live in 2012)":



10) "Sleep":



11) "Teenagers":



12) "Disenchanted":



"Disenchanted" (Live") (This is the best of the live videos for this song.)



13) "Famous Last Words":



"Famous Last Words" (Live) (This video isn't as high quality as promised.)



14) "Blood" (hidden track):



These three songs were on the iTunes deluxe edition:

15) "My Way Home Is Through You": (Sorry the sound for these three songs isn't very good. It's clear why these songs are bonus tracks. They are good, but would be out of place on "The Black Parade".)



16) "Kill All Your Friends":



17) "Heaven Help Us":



themusicaddict

No comments:

Favorites