Friday, January 17, 2014

themusicaddict's Desert Island Books: A Quick List (Updated January 18th, 2014)

Hello,

Off the top of my head, here's some of the books I want if I'm ever stranded on a desert island.

1) Stephen King's "Christine", the first of his books that I read and loved. That excellent book made me a life long fan of King. "It" and "Pet Semetary" are two of my other favorite King books. I recently just finished "11/22/63" which felt like a return to form for King. I was very disappointed by "Under The Dome" and the TV show is even worse.

2) Joe Hills "Horns", a very sweet love story. I hope the people making into a movie don't destroy the great story.

3) Greg Iles "The Turning Angel". A book I randomly picked up at Wal-Mart on a whim and absolutely loved.

4) John Steinbeck's "East of Eden", a classic that truly lives up to it's reputation.

5) Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five"- see above. I love that book was chosen as a subversive book in the original "Footloose".

6) Garth Stein's "The Art Of Racing In The Rain". Yes, good books are still being published. A nearly perfect book. The book is narrated by a dog and quite eloquently. In something that seems could have been corny, was handled quite well by Stein.

7) Tommy Lee, Vince Neil, Mick Mars and Nikki Sixx's "Motley Crue: The Dirt". I know it may seem to be a bit out of place. However it's a great book. Another great rock book is Stephen Davis's "Hammer Of The Gods". Nikki Sixx's "Heroin Diaries" is a harrowing, but not quite as good book. I loved "The Dirt" so much that I picked up Anthony Kiedis's "Scar Tissue". Sadly it's one of the worst books ever. Kiedis's high self regard isn't explained and I could never understand it.

8) Victor Hugo's "Les Miserables". I'm referring to the full length novel. A book that lead to one of my favorite musicals on stage, too bad the movie was such a mess.

9) John Grogan's "Marley & Me". I'm not going to lie, this is a book that made me equally laugh and cry. One of the saddest endings of any books ever. "Marley" made my life better just by reading it.

10) Homer Hickam's "Rocket Boys". When made into a movie it's name was changed to "October Sky". A well made movie, but the book was out of sight. (A little attempted rocket humor.)

11) Dave Eggers' "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". A memoir of Eggers life including raising his little brother after their parents died close to the same time.

12) James Bradley's "Flags Of Our Fathers". Bradley's investigation into the life of his war hero father John. John worked as a corpsman in the army and was one of the six people that raised the flag on Iwo Jima that became the classic World War 2 moment.

More to be added as I think of them, I want a library on my deserted island :)

themusic (and sometimes book) addict

No comments:

Favorites